Wednesday, October 31, 2007

“For happy-ever-aftering than here/In Camelot…”

Singer Robert Goulet has passed away at the age of 73, and at the risk of offending any of his fans by being facetious the only thing I truly remember about the baritone singer is that he was the reason Elvis Presley once shot up a television set with a handgun. That, and the fact that he was unctuous bad guy Quentin Hapsburg in The Naked Gun 2 ½ : The Smell of Fear (1991) and the unctuous Maxie Dean in Beetle Juice (1988). (Oh, and he has a great cameo in Louis Malle’s Atlantic City as a unctuous lounge singer performing at the opening of a new hospital.)

I don’t mean to do Mr. Goulet a disservice, but I’m not old enough to remember his triumph on Broadway as Sir Lancelot opposite Richard Burton and Julie Andrews in Camelot (1960). (Jaime Weinman, who’ll forget more about musicals than I’ll ever learn, is the go-to guy on this portion of Goulet’s career.) I will say this, though: Robert Goulet will be missed because the guy had one hell of a sense of humor and the ability to poke fun at himself (Exhibit A: his wet-your-pants-funny commercial for Emerald nuts).



R.I.P., Mr. Goulet. You will be missed.

2 comments:

Sam said...

No slight to Mr. Goulet's passing and all, but he did do other things like sell almonds.

Speaking of which, this is the first post I know of that you have used You Tube. I have a feeling it won't be the last

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

No slight to Mr. Goulet's passing and all, but he did do other things like sell almonds.

Yes. He romanced Judy Garland as a cartoon cat in Gay Purr-ee (1965).

I'm kidding, of course...he was a tremendously talented singer and actor, who just happened to make a commercial that made me laugh. (My father revealed to me this evening that he was quite a fan of Mr. Goulet, something I did not previously know.)

Speaking of which, this is the first post I know of that you have used You Tube. I have a feeling it won't be the last

I've only used YouTube one other time, for a post I did on my hero, Keith Olbermann. But you are correct, it probably won't be the last--though I'll certainly refrain from posting any Georgia Peach propaganda like you're currently hosting at your place. :-)