Sunday, October 28, 2007

“Now, alduce me to introlow myself…I'm sorry…alself me to myduce introlow myslef…introme -to-lose mlow alself…alme to you introself mylowduce…”

Sorry about that…I’m a little nervous, this being my first Blogger post and all. Allow me to introduce myself…my name is Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. For nearly four years now, I have been the author of Thrilling Days of Yesteryear, one of the most popular and thought-provoking weblogs in the blogosphere…

Ah…who am I kidding? It’s something to keep me off the streets. Most people have never heard of TDOY, and they’re far better off as a result.

Thrilling Days of Yesteryear was published at Salon Blogs during that four-year span, but the state of blogging at Salon today is not akin to watching people slowly kick off in a cholera ward…it’s that depressing. Furthermore, Salon/Radio UserLand expect me to pay them for the privilege of watching blogs wither and die, and that’s something for which I don’t have the stomach. So I’ve decided to skip out on paying the rent and move to these far more luxurious digs. I really do like it here—plenty of off-street parking…and the schools are better. (Plus, there’s a Subway within walking distance.)

In its halcyon days, TDOY was a weblog devoted to my hobby of collecting OTR (old-time radio), hence the name…but with each passing year, the old-time radio material has kind of fallen by the wayside (and believe me, I get plenty of e-mail about that) and it’s morphed into a general nostalgia blog, with a heavy emphasis on classic movies and television. Occasionally, I sometimes forget myself and include posts about my job (and you’ve lucked out with this, because I don’t have one at the moment) and wacky family life, but I really do try to keep these at a minimum (except for the post that follows). If anything, I will always try to tie these in somehow to movies or TV…though sometimes it can be a bit of a stretch.

If you’re a first-time visitor and are curious as to the subjects discussed here, you can read some of the crap...er, posts from the moss-covered Salon Days—there’s an archive of these articles over on the right. Also in that area are some individuals who, I’m proud to say, have encouraged my behavior and whose own weblogs are must-reads. Please stop by and say hi-dy to them when you have some free time (and if you’re reading this blog, you’ve no doubt plenty of it).

Thanks for accepting me as a member of the Blogger community. I’m sure you’ll look back one day and wonder out loud: “What the hell were we thinking?” Nevertheless, it’s an honor all the same.

8 comments:

Bill Crider said...

Welcome to BloggerWorld, Ivan.

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

Thanks, Bill!

Sam said...

At last, you are now trapped into Google's glorious little web! There is no escape whatsoever! BWAAA-HAA-HAAA!

Plus, not I can finally leave propercomments

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

Well, there's one drawback to Blogger...it fails to keep the riff-raff out...

All seriousness aside, it's good to see you found me, your Johnsonship (though it's kind of hard for a guy my size to hide on the Internets)...I have to admit, I didn't think the re-direct HTML would work on Salon...said HTML coming courtesy of mi amiga Pam.

Matt (scrubbles.net) said...

Congrats on the move, Ivan. Your new URL is MUCH easier to remember!!

Jeff Kallman said...

Welcome to the free world, you cheapskate! ;)

All your riff raff belong to us . . .

Pam said...

Hey! You got the re-direct from the old site to work.

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

Yes, I did! I gave you full credit, too--it's in one of these comment sections...can't remember which one right off the bat.