Saturday, December 1, 2007

The clock is ticking…

It’s the first of December, and we’re taking bets right now to see how many days will pass before the panic sets in. (I’ve mentioned previously than the game plan is for us to be out by the 31st.) I’ve spent the past few days piling up some DVDs and OTR cassette/CD sets to sell on eBay, so if you’re interested in anything the place to go is here. (And again, I apologize for being such a hard case when it comes to shipping to Canada and elsewhere, but it’s just too much of a hassle for me to trot down to the post office and donate an organ just to ship a DVD. I’ve already heard from one individual who’s just incensed about this, protesting that “My money is just as good.” I e-mailed him back and informed him that with the dollar tanking like it is, his money is actually better.)

First Generation Radio Archives is ringing in the holiday season with a brand-new Premier Collection; a rare series of syndicated quarter-hours entitled The Cocoanut Grove Ambassadors. Recorded between 1931 and 1934 at the famous nightclub by Transco (the Transcription Company of America) in the style of the live remote broadcasts popular at that time, the Ambassadors programs give you a chance to listen to four of the premier bandleaders and their orchestras from that era: Gus Arnheim, Jimmie Greer, Phil Harris and Ted Fio Rito. These fifteen-minute programs were culled from the original 16” shellac Transco transcriptions, so you’ll be afforded the opportunity to listen to some exceptionally fine audio instead of the scratchy 78 r.p.m. records from that time. These shows are extremely rare and nearly impossible to find, so why not add them to your collection (along with FGRA’s previous Big Band releases) or get them as a Christmas gift for the music fan in your family?

And don’t forget, First Generation also has the brand-new Cinnamon Bear storybook, The Adventure of the Silver Star available for the tiny tyke on your gift-giving list…but get a copy while you can because supplies are limited. The Archives is also offering three new Radio Legends sets this month, spotlighting the Adventures of Sam Spade, Escape and a second volume of Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar. (I’ve chosen to highlight the Escape collection on the right hand side of the blog because…well, because I wrote the liner notes. It’s good to be the king.) Don’t be surprised when you’re browsing the Radio Legends offerings if you’ll stumble on a few bonus collections as well. (You can imagine how tickled I was to learn that FGRA major domo Harlan Zinck’s middle name is actually “Bonus.”)

Well, I’ve got some more clutter to sort through—but in-between those activities, I’ve been spending what free time I have watching a few selected episodes from the new Man With a Camera collection available from Infinity Entertainment. So until I can get that review up, take a gander at the box art for the fourth and final season of The Wild, Wild West, courtesy of


Anonymous said...

Hey, Ivan. Philip Schweier here. I browsed through your ebay ofrferings and I may be interested in a few, like the Lone Ranger DVDs. Since I lvie right here in Savannah off of Stephenson (Sam Johnson sent me), would you consider foregoing the S&H in favor of a higher purchase price? Call me, I'm in the book.

Bobh said...

Re: Man with a Camera

I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying this series. There's a nice diversity to the story telling and Bronson is effective as freelance photographer Mike Kovac. The guest star list is, perhaps, not as strong as some other shows of the era, but there are enough familiar faces in the crowd to make it worthwhile enough to pick out some early appearances by folks who would go on to greater fame and fortune.

My favorite episode thus far involves a neighborhood on the brink of violence during a heat wave, with guest stars Harry Dean Stanton, Linda Lawson (from the cult classic "Night Tide") and perennial heavy Arthur Batanides.

Besides "Man with a Camera" and "Mister Peepers," I wonder what else the UCLA Film & Television Archive has available in the way of television shows that could be released on DVD.


Stacia said...

The artwork for Volume 4 is terrific. Wild Wild West slash for everyone!

You've got some great DVDs for sale, and my husband is probably going to divorce me when he finds out I'm still buying movies. (I just bought a slew of DVDs off eBay... what's a few more?)

PB said...

hmmm...i've been meaning to watch man with a camera for some time now. at that price, i have no more excuses. thanks for clueing me in about that website.