Tuesday, June 17, 2008

R.I.P., Lily Norwood


JazzGuy over at In the Balcony reports that movie icon Cyd Charisse has passed away at age the of 86. (Here's the obit from the Bombast.net website, since CharredHer.net is asleep at the switch.) There aren't enough words to describe how unhappy I am at this time; while I've never been what you'd call a musicals maven, I had a thing for Ms. Charisse--she was sexy as all get-out and possessed a pair of gams that went on for days.

She appeared in a ton of first-rate musicals and non-musicals: The Band Wagon (1953), Brigadoon (1954), It's Always Fair Weather (1955), Silk Stockings (1957), Party Girl (1958) and Two Weeks in Another Town (1962), just off the top of my head. But my favorite Cyd showcase is still the incredible "Broadway Rhythm Ballet" from Singin' in the Rain (1952)--you could stick that on an endless video loop and I'd never get tired of watching it.

In once of those cinematic coinky-dinks that life frequently lays out on a blanket, TCM is showing Brigadoon tomorrow morning beginning at 11:30 am. Let's just say I don't want to be disturbed.

R.I.P, Cyd--you will most definitely be missed.

4 comments:

Stacia said...

Holy cats, you're igsjr on In The Balcony! I was wondering how you knew about me in advance, as it were. I'm a bit slow on the uptake lately.

I'm absolutely shocked that Charisse was 86. She looked phenomenal. I'm sorry to hear that she's gone.

The Baby said...

Hey - remember the old days when my screen name was Lily Norwood?

Dang, I can't believe she's gone.

RIP, our beautiful Cyd.

Pam said...

I remember Baby! I thought of you immediately when some of the news articles referred to Cyd's former screen name.

Sad day.

The Baby said...

Hey Pam - nice to see ya.

She had to be one of the world's most perfect-looking people.