Sunday, July 20, 2008

Do as I say, not as I do

Well, it’s Sunday night—and since no one ever reads this stuff on Sunday nights, let me get a political rant off my chest…

From the Associated Press (sigh):

WASHINGTON - President Bush has been a "total failure" in everything from the economy to the war to energy policy, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday. In an interview on CNN, the California Democrat was asked to respond to video of the president criticizing the Democratic-led Congress for heading into the final 26 days of the legislative session without having passed a single government spending bill.

Pelosi shot back in unusually personal terms.

"You know, God bless him, bless his heart, president of the United States, a total failure, losing all credibility with the American people on the economy, on the war, on energy, you name the subject," Pelosi replied. She then tsk-tsked Bush for "challenging Congress when we are trying to sweep up after his mess over and over and over again."

Nance, you had the chance to “sweep up after his mess over and over and over again.” But if memory serves me correct (and it often does), you were the one who said “impeachment is off the table.”

It comes as no surprise to me that support for Congress is in the single digits. I’d like to throw a single digit their way myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ivan, I think you're right on in your disgust. The way I see it, the first priority of 'our representatives' is to get themselves re-elected. That's far easier to do with special interest dollars than by keeping their constituents happy. Their next priority is to their political party. Thus, if the Democrats come up with an idea - regardless of how good it sounds and how much the American people would benefit - the Republicans will fight tooth and nail to stop it from becoming law. The same is true in reverse.
Our only hope is to replace them all and put in term limitations.

We might also insist that election day be moved to April 15th so the IRS is fresh on everyone's minds as they cast their votes. Better yet, let's install the Fair Tax.

I can't remember my Google password, so I'll call this anonymous. But you know better.

This is Jim from