Friday, July 11, 2008

Last night I didn’t get to sleep at all

Oy! Have I been having trouble with my insomnia as of late…

I’ve always had problems falling asleep at night…I suppose it could due to any number of factors, of course—but Explanation #1 is that I’m just not a morning person. When I was working, I preferred the swing shift because that’s when I seemed to be at my level best.

After losing my night auditor job at La Quinta, I briefly got back into a normal schedule: going to bed at 11pm and waking up around 7-ish. Since the move to Athens, though…well, I usually toddle off to beddy-bye around 1am, sleep two hours…and then spend the rest of the night sleeping in one-hour shifts.

So last night, I decided that I would go to bed when I just couldn’t keep my eyes open anymore. TCM was running some of Sally “Sister Bertrille” Field’s favorite flicks, so I said “What the hey” and watched All About Eve (1950) again for the umpteenth time. Eve never gets old for me, though if I had been entrusted with choosing the Best Picture that year I would have went with Sunset Blvd. (1950) because Sunset is about the movies (which seems more fitting for a movie award) while Eve takes on the theatah. (As Addison DeWitt would say: “You have a point. An idiotic one, but a point.”)

I then stuck around to watch my favorite Preston Sturges comedy, The Miracle of Morgan’s Creek (1944), and by the time that was done it was 4am. (Sally’s got great taste in movies, but couldn’t she have watched these a little earlier?) I’m happy to report, though, that I managed to sleep like a log afterwards (even found bugs crawling underneath me), until my slumber was broken around 11:30am with the postal person rap, rap, rapping at my chamber door with a couple of packages too big for my box..

Naturally, I do not want all you junior TDOY readers emulating my sleep/TV habits, but the good thing about all this is that I just might be able to stay up this evening and watch Skidoo (1969), a movie that I’ve always been curious to see, and said curiosity has been stoked by recent “heads-up” by Stacia and Mark Evanier. If I make it through the film without dozing off, that will be the subject of tomorrow’s post.

3 comments:

Craig Zablo said...

I can relate to the sleeping issues. When I was a kid right up until I started teaching I would stay up to all hours of the night. I still get into the habit when I have some vacation time -- like this month.

Stacia said...

Can you believe I saw "Eve" and "Miracle" and forgot about "Skidoo"? I have 2 copies of it already so it's no loss, but I completely spaced it off.

The best part about "Miracle" is that, on 2nd viewing, I realized the word "Miracle" in the title is the same sparkly stuff as the disco ball that literally knocks Trudy, erm, "out". Oh, Preston, you were such a cad.

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

The best part about "Miracle" is that, on 2nd viewing, I realized the word "Miracle" in the title is the same sparkly stuff as the disco ball that literally knocks Trudy, erm, "out". Oh, Preston, you were such a cad.

You are far more observant than I. I've lost count of how many times I've seen Creek, and I never noticed the bit with the opening title until you pointed it out.