Monday, July 21, 2008

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

Last week, I sort of got my undies in a bunch and fired off a nasty editorial about the upcoming The Complete Wild Wild West box set scheduled to be released by CBS/Paramount this November 4th, referencing specifically the extras (the made-for-TV movies The Wild Wild Revisited [1979] and More Wild Wild West [1980]) that will not be available separately but will require a purchase of the whole kit ‘n’ kaboodle.

In my screed, I singled out two individuals, Gord Lacey and Dave Lambert—the webmeisters of, as recipients of my admittedly overheated invective, charging that they often approached these sorts of controversial decisions with a great deal of timidity to maintain their close contacts in the TV-to-DVD industry. (My exact words were: “[R}ather than jeopardize their cushy positions hobnobbing with what are essentially a pack of weasels, [they] turn their backs on this kind of chicanery when such ethically-challenged practices cry out for some sort of scathing editorial reply.”)

As it stands, I don’t often set out to be a complete horse’s ass but once I start there’s very little that will stop me, to paraphrase Orson Welles’ famous observation in The Lady from Shanghai {1947). Mr. Lacey has done precisely what I suggested, letting the studios have it with both barrels while asking them politely to stop screwing their customers. As such, I would like to profusely apologize to both Messrs. Lacey and Lambert for jumping the gun on this…I was clearly in the wrong, and for that I humbly express my sincerest regrets.

As to whether my half-cocked screed provided the impetus for the editorial I choose not to speculate, because if I actually did have that sort of influence in the form of enormous Internet powers I’m not sure I could handle that sort of responsibility. But on the other hand…it wouldn’t hurt to try them out. Dame Diana Riggcall me

1 comment:

Craig Zablo said...

You were right to rant, although maybe you aimed at the wrong folks.

It takes a big man to admit he was wrong and apologize.

Since you have discovered how much power you have, let me leave you with one more cliche before I go...

With great power comes great responsibility.

Continue to use your powers for good, sir!