Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Region 2 is good for you

I’m in the home stretch of finishing up a project for FGRA…plus I also have to straighten up this jernt in time for the ‘rents arrival tomorrow (ETA: 10:00am) so I’ll make this brief. Please take a goodly-sized portion of your precious free time and read this post by one of my favorite film bloggers, the incomparable Campaspe at Self-Styled Siren. She discusses several movies that aren’t yet available in Region 1 form but can be obtained from across the pond if you’re willing to match the craptastic U.S. dollar against foreign currency. But what really brings it all home is her prescient observation that if certain movie treasures (like Make Way for Tomorrow) are just left in vaults to rot with the passage of time, all that will be left of classic movies is what's on the AFI lists. In a perfect world, this would not be allowed to happen…oh, also you and I would be forced to serve Campaspe as her abject minions…but perhaps I’ve revealed a little too much about her world domination scheme through classic cinema. All seriousness aside, it’s a wonderful post—and I can’t recommend it highly enough.

1 comment:

Stacia said...

I got a multi-region DVD player specifically for things not available on Region 1, and I'm happy with it. The problem is that these DVDs are sometimes quite expensive, although the Hong Kong DVDs are often cheap.