Monday, July 14, 2008

There ain’t no sanity clause…

I apologize for this being such short notice, but TCM is running A Night at the Opera (1935) tonight at 8:30pm. While I can’t fathom a universe where no one has ever watched this classic, I’m certain there are one or two of you who may need to set reminders to catch the fun; I have to watch only because while I’ve finally concluded that Harold Lloyd’s funniest sound comedy is Movie Crazy (1932), it’s still a toss-up between Opera and Duck Soup (1933) when it comes to Groucho, Harpo and Chico (and sometimes Zeppo). (It’s usually the one I’ve seen most recently.)

If you watch now, TCM will throw in an added bonus: a showing of one of the funniest comedy shorts in the history of two-reelers, W.C. Fields’ The Dentist (1932). (I’m curious to see as to whether it’s the “uncensored” version: the one where The Great Man tosses off a few “damns” and one “to hell with her” in the course of the film’s running time.) And after that, if you’re not sleepy, we’ll kick back with a showing of North by Northwest (1959)—hands down, my favorite Hitchcock film. (“You gentlemen aren’t really trying to kill my son, are you?”)

So what are you waiting for? Hey, I’ll pop the popcorn if necessary.


Brent McKee said...

Of course in the days when we inhabited rec.arts.movies.past-films there was always that the movies that the Marx Brothers did at MGM were inherently inferior to the movies they did at Paramount because they had surrendered control in some manner.

Elisson said...

I always loved A Night At The Opera, but now I feel like I have a small personal connection to it, thanks to our having met Kitty Carlisle Hart back in December 2006.