Friday, October 3, 2008

“Burgers and fries and cherry pies/it was simple and good back then…”

The game plan for today was to take Mumsy out for lunch and then run by Kroger’s (the official home-away-from-home of Bill Crider) to pick up a few items I needed (pop, milk, bologna, pancake syrup, etc.). I was going to treat her to Five Guys and a Burger, a Virginia-based fast food chain that has locations dotting up and down the East Coast. (Mark Evanier has a bit of the skinny here.)

We went to Five Guys, only Mom insists on paying for the grub. (Parents…whatcha gonna do?) If you’ve not been to one, I’ll give you a heads-up and tell you that while the food’s a little pricier than what, say, you’d expect at McDonald’s the burgers are mighty tasty and the fries are out of this world. (To be honest, I can picture myself bypassing the burger and just scarfing down fries.) Five Guys didn’t have a restaurant in The State of Chatham (aka Savannah) when we were ensconced there but the website says there’ll be one there soon at the News Place in Market Square on Bay Street.

Yesterday, as I was catching up with some of my blog reading, I noticed that blogger-crimefighter The Retropolitan is back in business, joking to myself: “It must be October.” (Imagine my surprise when I learned that he had made the very same joke—great minds do think alike…) Since Halloween is to Retro what Christmas is to so many others, he’s devised a nifty series of Halloween-related posts this month. My mother is perzactly the same way: she loves this time of year, and in fact I was musing about a box of DVDs that she left over at the house (containing the only discs she insisted on saving once the dusty TDOY archives were liquidated on eBay: the Universal horror films) when, with the timing of a sitcom, my father comes through the front door and remarks: “Your mother wanted me to grab a box that she says she left over here—do you know anything about it?”

AMC, desperately trying to cling to anything that will provide them with a vestige of classic movie credibility, is offering another horror movie festival this month (entitled FearFest ‘08) in celebration of Halloween—and many of my Mom’s favorite movies (Bride of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, The Mummy) will be featured among the lineup. The curious thing is that CharredHer’s On Demand service is also providing a few AMC offerings: The Amityville Horror (1979), Child’s Play (1988), The Pit and the Pendulum (1961) and The Raven (1963). I put on Pendulum yesterday out of curiosity because I wanted to see if they decided to include some commercials; to AMC’s credit, they did not…but they did put in the fade-outs and fade-ins where the commercials would normally go. (To add insult to injury, Pendulum was presented in that's real horror.) Meanwhile, IFC On Demand is offering a trio of “indie” horror movies: A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984, which I believe ends Monday); Eaten Alive (1977), the Tobe Hooper classic that I’m going to try to watch because I have not seen it; and Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975), which I know is not technically a horror film but is one of the most unsettling, creepy psychological terror films it has been my privilege to sit through.

1 comment:

Jerry House said...

Pendulum and Raven both have Matheson scripts, making them must-sees for me whenever they are shown. Picnic at Hanging Rock remains one of my all-time favorites.