Friday, October 3, 2008

Please rise for the West Virginia anthem

You can go into any bar in West Virginia, play this song on the jukebox (trust me, it'll be on there--it's a state law or something)...and if the entire bar isn't singing along by the end, the next two rounds are on me.


Craig Clarke said...

It's the same with Tennessee and "Rocky Top."

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

True story: My sister Debbie lived in Nashville for many years before relocating to the wilds of Io-way, and because her husband is a Vandy alum, they loathe and despise the Volunteers (whose fight song is Rocky Top).

Imagine her chagrin when she wakes up one morning to find me teaching her impressionable young daughter (who was five years old at the time) the lyrics to the Osborn Brothers classic.

"If Craige (her husband, with an extra "e") catches you teaching her that song there will be weeping and gnashing and great pain to follow," she warned.

"I have no dog in this fight," I insisted (though that was a teensy white fib). "I'm just trying to instill in her a little prideful heritage in bluegrass music."

I never found out what resulted after that--I was hoping to hear a story about her bursting into song from the back seat of the car on the way home, but no go. Thanks for the info, Craig.