Thursday, October 16, 2008

Sadness on the nostalgia front

I apologize for the paucity of blog material (I seem to be skating by on publishing comic strips and YouTube videos) but I’m hopefully going to try and have something up by tomorrow…and that’s only because I’ve been invited to sister Kat’s for a steak dinner with the ‘rents. (The ‘rents have just recently returned from a trek to West Des Moines, where they spent quality time visiting my younger sister Debbie and spoiling their granddaughter Rachel rotten.)

I got a call from them this past Saturday evening and I talked to the Peanut fairly briefly—she informed me that she was working on a magazine.

“What kind of magazine is it, and would it be possible for me to get a subscription?” I asked in my best Arlene-Francis-on-What’s-My-Line? voice.

“Well, Uncle Ivan—it’s a Christmas magazine. Kids will be able to look through it and find pages and pages of toys and they can pick what they want for Christmas,” she replies.

So I proceeded to tell her about the good old days when Sears-Roebuck sent a “Wish Book” to customers during the holidays and it, too, had pages of toys that we used to look at and dream about getting for Christmas. She was interested—or at least appeared to be. (Sometimes that kid looks at me like I have no idea what I’m talking about.)

Then I say to her: “Um…Peanut? This wouldn’t be some sort of transparent ruse to communicate to Nana (my mother) and Pop (Dad) what you’re wanting for Christmas…is it?”

Slight pause. “Yes,” she confesses.

That kid has the timing of Jack Benny.

Anyhoo, I was catching up on my blog reading and learned (primarily from Mark Evanier) that we’ve lost actress-comedienne Edie Adams (81), jazz trumpeter-composer Neal Hefti (85, famous for TV’s Batman theme) and game show host Jack Narz (85). It is so devastating to learn of the passings of such incredibly talented people! (By the way, I was completely unaware that Narz and his fellow game show host brethren Tom Kennedy were brothers. You learn something new every day!)

Well, I have to go. I’ve just noticed that Sam Johnson is starting up the feud again. (Reads script) “Sam’s the only person I know who gave nine cents to the March of Dimes…”

Oh, one more thing before I forget…


Go over to this lug’s award-winning blog and wish him a happy birthday. You’ll be a better person for having done so.

Correction: When I first wrote this post, I apparently wasn't paying attention to the fact that two of the individuals listed in the obits are actually alive and well and still among us. I have therefore edited this post to correct what was obviously a major fox paw on my part. Thrilling Days of Yesteryear regrets (in so many ways) the error.

3 comments:

Scott C. said...

Well...damn. My mother loved Tom Hatten when she was young, and her encomiums on the subject caused me to grow up with a simmering resentment at her generation and their really cool local kids shows.

When I commuted to work, around the turn of the century, I'd hear his entertainment reports (on KNX, I think) and I couldn't believe that A) he was still alive, and B) he sounded just the same as he did back when he was playing FDR in "Annie," or hosting the Family Film Festival on Channel 5 in the late 70s. "Buoyant" and "relentlessly cheerful" is how I'd describe his delivery, but never to the point where you'd want to punch him.

Toby said...

Ivan, you weren't paying attention to the Tom Hatten/Jimmy Weldon post! Evanier was writing about them being on Shokus internet radio!

Cue the Mark Twain reference....

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

Whoops! Talk about a major fox paw!