Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Based on a true story...


And here's the true story:

My late grandfather had two daschunds who would go stark raving gonzo whenever they heard the Jeopardy! theme (the Art Fleming version) on the TV. The reason for this was because "Papa Jack" was a creature of habit: he came home every day at noon from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in Savannah to his and my grandmother's apartment in Trustee Gardens (right smack dab next to the Pirates' House) for lunch. The dogs simply put two and two together and associated the theme with their master, who they knew was due home any moment.

One of the daschunds lived on for a little while after Jack passed away in 1987. I felt so sorry for her because she always seemed to be looking around, as if she were waiting for him to suddenly turn up. This was the point in my life when I realized that dogs are Man's Best Friend...and I'll never let anyone argue me otherwise.

1 comment:

cbording said...

Thanks for sharing this sweet story.