Friday, December 12, 2008

The Notorious Bettie Page (1923-2008)

Via Mark Evanier and Bob at Bob + Dusty’s Whirl-A-Go-Go, it is with great sadness that I learned of the passing of popular pin-up gal Bettie Page, who died at the age of 85.

The New York Times has an obituary here, and you’d probably be better off reading that and Mark’s tribute because Bettie’s heyday was a bit before my time. My only familiarity with the pin-up icon was seeing her in several comic book/graphic novel catalogs, and finally I had to ask my father: “Dad, who’s Bettie Page?” (He replied that she was the woman who sang about the doggie in the window…proving that the apple doesn’t fall all that far from the tree.) I did manage to see (I bought the DVD on sale somewhere) The Notorious Bettie Page, a 2006 feature film directed by Mary Harron (I Shot Andy Warhol, American Psycho) and starring Gretchen Mol, who did a bang-up job at impersonating Bettie.

R.I.P., Ms. Page. You will be missed.

4 comments:

movie fan said...

Page starred in a few mainstream movies too, didn't she?

Pam said...

Bob worked on The Notorious Bettie Page...and I still haven't seen it.

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

Page starred in a few mainstream movies too, didn't she?

Not to belittle Bettie's contributions to the silver screen, but the IMDb lists some of her movie appearances as Teaser Girl in High Heels (1950), Varietease (1954), Teaserama (1955) and Striporama (1953). I guess only Potter Stewart could tell us whether they count as "mainstream." :-)

Bob worked on The Notorious Bettie Page...and I still haven't seen it.

Let me guess...body double?

HouseT said...

I feel bad in part because it never occured to me that Bettie was still alive. I always hate when people pass and I didn't even realize they were around. She certainly seemed to have lived an interesting life.