Tuesday, December 9, 2008

There is nothing like a meme…

Ray at Flickhead has tossed a meme onto my front porch here at Rancho Yesteryear, asking me to name twenty of my favorite movie actresses. While I had tremendous fun compiling the list, I’m always saddened by projects like this because I inevitably leave someone out. So, for better or for worse, here are the amazing women who are guaranteed to make my movie-watching experiences a little bit brighter:

Jean Arthur

Ingrid Bergman






 Eleanor Bron
 Gloria Grahame
 Lee Grant
Coleen Gray
 Joan Hackett
 Judy Holliday
 Celeste Holm
 Glynis Johns
 Mercedes McCambridge
 Agnes Moorehead
 Maureen O'Hara
 Maureen O'Sullivan
Lee Remick
 Dame Diana Rigg
 Marie Windsor
 Claire Trevor
 Thelma Todd

Jan Sterling









Additional inspiration in this project was provided by Peter at Coffee, Coffee and More Coffee (with the smoking hot picture of Janet Leigh) and Nathaniel R. at Film Experience, who apparently kicked off the whole damn thing.

6 comments:

Flickhead said...

Eleanor Bron and Coleen Gray...!

Bravo!

Excellent list -- and great pix too!

Erica said...

I concur...outstanding! Jean Arthur, Maureen O'Hara, Dame Diana Rigg, Judy Holliday...our lists would not have been so different. Clearly you are a man with refined tastes in women.

hopeinbrazil said...

Lovely to see my favorite, Jean Arthur at the top. Although I'm a big oldtime movie fan I didn't recognize all your choices. I'll have to look into them...

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

In all honesty, I should disclose that Jean Arthur's at the top of the list only because the list is alphabetical. But my affinity for the chirpy-voiced one would easily earn her a berth in my top three.

Bob Turnbull said...

Argh! I forgot Diana Rigg! How did I let that happen?

Judy Holliday and Maureen O'Hara were "this" close to making my list.

And Glynis Johns is gorgeous...Wow.

Vertigo's Psycho said...

Love that you listed Coleen Gray (she didn't spring to mind immediately, so she wasn't in my top 20). She's probably the best "ingenue" I've ever seen, specifically in Nightmare Alley, but she doesn't get much credit for being an actress of exceptional ability.