Friday, December 26, 2008

TV-on-DVD corrections and additions

TVShowsOnDVD.com has a last-minute blurb about Timeless Media Group’s final Laredo release (Season 2, Volume 2…due to be released January 6th) insomuch as there’s a bonus interview included on the box set…with Neville Brand! That’s right—they resurrected him from the dead! Head for the hills! Okay, I’m just jinkin’ ya—it’s really with Peter Brown…who not only appeared on Laredo from 1965-67, but was also John Russell’s sidekick on The Lawman from 1958 to 1962. In addition, Messrs. Lacey and Lambert point visitors to an interview at On Screen and Beyond with Don Grady; sort of a tie-in with the release of My Three Sons: Season 1, Volume 2 January 20th. (As much as it hurt me to do so, I opted out of collecting this series after learning that CBS-Paramount were back to their old “music substitution” tricks again.)

About two weeks ago, I made mention of the next season release (number three) of the cult TV series Route 66, which was apparently hitting the streets on February 10th. TVShowsOnDVD.com has now corrected that info, announcing that Amazon.com has a new pre-order listing for Route 66: Season 3, Volume 1 with a release date of June 23, 2009…but there will still be a Route 66 release coming out in February—a “best of” collection with the nom de disc of Route 66: Producer’s Picks. I guess you could say it’s similar to that Perry Mason anniversary collection that was released earlier because Producer’s Picks will feature eleven shows starring the likes of Alan Alda, Boris Karloff, Lon Chaney, Jr., Peter Lorre, Suzanne Pleshette, James Caan, Stefanie Powers and many others. (Since Karloff, Lorre and Chaney, Jr. have been mentioned it’s a good bet that "Lizard’s Leg and Owlet’s Wing" will be on the set.)

In other TV-on-DVD news, Timeless Media Group has another vintage tube favorite scheduled for release on March 10, 2009: The Adventures of Champion, the syndicated 1955-56 TV western adventure produced by Gene Autry (via Flying A Productions) and starring his famous “wonder horse” (though the horse in the television series was not the same one as the stallion in Autry’s B-westerns), along with requisite kid star Barry Curtis, supervising adult Jim (Mr. Bea Benaderet) Bannon…and backup animal Rebel the dog (he was a German Shepherd). Ten episodes of the show will be offered on a 2-disc set with a SRP of $7.98 (which means you’ll probably find it online for a mere bag of shells).

The best TV-on-DVD news, however, is that Season 3 of Barney Miller is on deck and scheduled for release March 17, 2009. And if you’re curious as to whether I’m still bitter about selling my first season set on eBay because I more or less figured Sony had lost interest in the series the answer is yes…yes I am.

6 comments:

Andrew Leal said...

I scoff at you and your short-sighted e-bay selling! True, the first season was shorter and uneven, but wouldn't a true Millerite hold onto it if only for Roscoe Lee Browne in "The Escape Artist?" (And each and every appearance by Florence Stanley as Bernice is a delight in my book.)

I'm definitely heartened by the third season news. Still doubtful they'll complete the whole run, but having unedited versions of some of my favorites (like the two part "Quarantine" and "Asylum") and the single two most famous episodes ("Hush" and "Werewolf") is cause for huzzahing indeed.

Linda said...

The entire series of "Champ" is available in Region 2 (of course). Why is that classic kids' TV shows are available overseas and not here?

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

From what I've glanced at, The Adventures of Champion has quite the cult following in the U.K.--which might explain why it's accessible over their and not here. I'm sure Bob will stop by to give us the skinny on what episodes of Champion are available on public domain DVD (I have only one installment--it's not a bad series, just not my cup o'Earl Grey).

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

I scoff at you and your short-sighted e-bay selling! True, the first season was shorter and uneven, but wouldn't a true Millerite hold onto it if only for Roscoe Lee Browne in "The Escape Artist?"

Believe me, I'm still kicking myself for letting it go. I purchased it for the old man, but he never glanced at it once...so I watched the entire set myself and it got to the point where I figured Sony had pretty much abandoned any follow-ups. And that's when it went.

Dave said...

You mean that even if you really enjoy a series, like Barney Miller, you don't hang onto the DVDs if you're not going to get the complete series?

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

You mean that even if you really enjoy a series, like Barney Miller, you don't hang onto the DVDs if you're not going to get the complete series?

I guess it depends on my state of mind. I regret letting it go, but it probably came down to a matter of economics--could I part with this DVD if necessary? But I've kept "one-and-done" DVDs before: I still have the first seasons of Quincy, M.E., Dragnet 1967 and Hazel if that helps any.