Wednesday, January 28, 2009

For your consideration

I finally managed to drag my lazy, sloppy carcass out of bed this morning and stumble to my e-mail, where I found an urgent missive from operator_99, of the ever popular Allure:

I am so honored to have received a Dardos Award, bestowed upon me by my favorite blogger, The Self Styled Siren, who herself was bestowed the award by two other eminent film bloggers, Flickhead and Glenn Kenny.

So what is the Dardos?

Here's the purpose: "The Dardos Award is given for recognition of cultural, ethical, literary, and personal values transmitted in the form of creative and original writing. These stamps were created with the intention of promoting fraternization between bloggers, a way of showing affection and gratitude for work that adds value to the Web.”

And in an inclusive break from the award being solely focused on writing, the Siren saw fit to include those whose blogs are primarily image oriented, but fit the overall criteria.

There are rules, however:
1) Accept the award by posting it on your blog along with the name of the person that has granted the award and a link to his/her blog.
2) Pass the award to another five blogs that are worthy of this acknowledgement, remembering to contact each of them to let them know they have been selected for this award.

To quote Ruth Gordon, as she accepted the Best Supporting Actress Award for Rosemary’s Baby (1968): “I can’t tell ya how encouragin’ a thing like this is...” I can say nothing more than it is a real honor to receive such recognition (thanks again to Allure), and that it will be the first crucial step in what will be a truly obnoxious campaign to finally get Thrilling Days of Yesteryear a little respect around here, starting with a Weblog Award or two.

(Okay, I’m kidding about that last part.)

Choosing which five blogs to pass along the Primio Dardos (loosely translated from the Greek as “surfing weblogs while at work”) was a tremendously difficult task because I really do admire each and every blog in the TDOY blogroll; the authors of which are tremendously talented and, well, let’s face it, damned good at what they do. So in my list I singled out a couple that often soldier on unnoticed without laurels (and hardys) and are worthy of a hearty handclasp (in alphabetical order):

Blog d’Elisson – Elisson maintains to this day that I was one of the first blogs to link to his—something I find incredible only in that I couldn’t possibly have been the pioneer in discovering what a really entertaining kitchen-sink blog his award-winning site has become. He’s also one of the few bloggers I’ve had the pleasure to meet in person, and he’s perzactly the way he is in real life as he is on his blog: gregarious, friendly and my definition of a real “Renaissance man.” Take a gander at his blog sometime…”it won’t kill ya!”

broadcastellan – Anybody can write a blog dedicated to old-time radio, and I’m certainly living proof of that. But it’s a rare and special talent that can examine Radio’s Golden Age (and other pop culture like TV and movies) under a microscope and relate it to the present day without getting all sloppy and nostalgic (okay, I’ll stop talking about me now). An incredibly well-written blog by Harry Heuser, broadcastellan is an everyday must-read.

Cultureshark – Rick Brooks examines popular culture both old and new, and is able to do so with a well-honed wit and a snarkiness that never steps over its boundaries to become tiresome. The best blog you’re currently not reading.

The Easy Ace: A Journal of Classic Radio – When I get the occasional e-mail at the home office in Pt. Pleasant, WV asking: “How come you don’t focus as much on old-time radio as you used to?”—I tell these inquiring minds that not only is Jeff Kallman doing it now, he’s doing it better than I ever could. Jeff is nothing if not meticulous in providing fascinating background on the programs he writes about, as well as links to broadcast recordings that can be located for your listening pleasure online. – Matt Hinrichs loves kitsch, and he’s not afraid to admit it. Any topic that would normally produce a reaction of “You really like that? Pleeease…” is fodder for his blog, be it classic movies, retro 70s music, figurines, obscure soda pop and other pop culture remnants and tchotchkes.

Update: I've just learned that I've received another Dardos from the doyenne of classic movies herownself, that Self-Styled Siren...which means I now have bookends (I feel just like Luise Rainer!). I want to thank Campaspe for the recognition, but I'd like to see the extra go to a worthy bloghome.


Matt ( said...

Thanks, Ivan. Happy to be in such illustrious company.

Hal said...

Actually Ivan, I forgot to notify each of the winners via email due to a hectic and busy week at work for yours truly, but I also gave you a Dardo on Saturday, so you have 3!

Pam said...

Congratulations to all.