Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Yakety Slack

Sorry about the fact that there wasn’t anything of substance to post at TDOY today. I spent most of the day on a curious project that will hopefully yield a lengthy essay tomorrow, but in the meantime I thought I might point out these points of interest as hors d’oeuvres to whet your nostalgia appetites:

Faithful TDOY reader Jason asked me to plug a website dedicated to the lost jewel in the crown of the glass furnace, the short-lived DuMont Television Network. He embarrassedly sent me an e-mail alerting me to its presence...embarrassed because he partially helped work on the site. Jason should know, of course, that shameless self-promotion is nothing to be humiliated about here on the blog, for this is why it exists. Have yourself a browse and if you’re not careful, you may learn something before it’s done. (Hey, hey, hey…)

Bijou Bob at the Matinee at the Bijou blog has a well-written essay about one of moviedom’s unsung comic figures: George O’Hanlon, who played Joe McDoakes in the popular “So You Want...” comedies lovingly churned out at Warner Brothers from 1942 to 1956. An equally well-crafted composition about the Marx Brothers and the nadir of their career at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer is also available from John McElwee at Greenbriar Picture Shows—and there are not enough superlatives to adequately express how imperative it is that you read both of these extremely well-written articles…so go already.

From TVShowsOnDVD.com, word comes down the pike that CBS-Paramount will be releasing The Fugitive: Season 2, Volume 2 this March 31st…and because I have little the time and patience to go into another diatribe about how the execs at that company will smoke a turd in Hell for swapping out the music soundtrack on the first volume (something they’re also doing with Volume Deux) it would be better if you got the straight dope from Gord Lacey and David Lambert.

Steve at Blog d’Elisson wrote a lovely poem (inspired by Percy Bysshe Shelley) about one of television’s most beloved—if not the most beloved—patriarchs, and when I complimented him on his impeccable good taste he replied that of all the known individuals on Planet Blogosphere he figured I would be one of the few to appreciate it. He was also good enough to dedicate it to Thrilling Days of Yesteryear, and while I’m doffing my chapeau I can’t quite wipe the tears from my eyes. Go. Read. Now.

Finally, an interesting article about the upcoming 15th anniversary of Turner Classic Movies and how fifteen longtime fans of the channel were asked to choose films they would like to see programmed for the event. Some very interesting choices (Those Lips, Those Eyes [1980], So Long at the Fair [1950])…and I might point out, not one of them suggested Citizen Kane. (Talk about man bites dog!)

1 comment:

J.C. Loophole said...

Love George O’Hanlon, and really love the fact that WB has included the Joe McDokes series on several DVD releases. His mug popping out from behind the 8 ball is classic. O'Hanlon, as I know you know (but I've got to show off some of my useless trivia knowledge), is the voice (and I believe the inspiration) behind George Jetson. One of my favorite Joe McDokes is the erstewhile "So You Want to Quit Smoking."