Tuesday, May 12, 2009

“Mrs. Partridge....you’re trying to seduce me…aren’t you?”

Shirley Jones considers Playboy

A Page Six item this morning that Broadsheet readers might be interested in discussing: According to the august gossips at the New York Post, former Partridge Family mom Shirley Jones, who is 75, is considering posing nude for Playboy. It would make her the oldest woman to go naked for the magazine. Nancy Sinatra posed at 54 in 1995. Somewhat skeevily, it's Jones' husband and manager, Marty Ingels, who's pushing for it to happen, telling Page Six, "She's still drop-dead gorgeous, and at the age of 75, a natural beauty."

That's sweet and all, but there might be better ways to show your appreciation than offering her up nude to the world. On the other hand, Ingels continues, "I think it would be sensational. Mature women are relevant." So, vocal readers and those who are guaranteed to simply write about how gross it is: Would this be empowering? Socially important? Just another way to sexualize women of all ages?

Look, as far as I’m concerned Shirl can do whatever she damn well pleases…but will it play with the “family values” crowd inside the GOP?


Tom Sutpen said...

They're gonna need an industrial-strength airbrush for this one.

Here's an editorial strategy they ought to adopt over at Playboy, just to avoid things like this:

Never ask someone to pose for the magazine who you wouldn't have asked to pose even when she was at her (you'll excuse the expression) peak.

Beyond that, I have only this:

If you listen closely, you can hear the ghost of Jack Cassidy . . . laughing its ass off.

Matthew K. said...

I'm not that into Shirley. Now, Florence Henderson, that's another story. I was more of a Brady fan.

Brent McKee said...

Shirley Jones when she was in Elmer Gantry? - hell yeah.

Shirley Jones when she was on The Partridge Family? Damned straight.

Shirley Jones today? Check to make sure blood is actually reaching Marty Ingels's brain.

John Glenn Taylor said...

I think I love you/ So what am I so afraid of?/ I'm afraid that I'm not sure that/ I want to see you naked