Thursday, August 13, 2009

Coming distractions: November TCM edition

Last week, I posted that a new entry in the Warner Archive was the 1949 shoot-‘em-up Colorado Territory, of which I was really jonesing for a copy and was considering biting one of Joel McCrea’s bullets and taking the plunge. But fortunately, the Movie Gods are going to shower good fortune upon me and my moth-riddled wallet by scheduling a showing on Turner Classic Movies in November…November 30th at 8:45am EST, to be more precise. Yes, fellow film fanatics—TCM has posted its tentative November schedule of films here, and while I’m detecting a great many instances where the noble classic film channel is scheduling some movies for a third and possible fourth time, here are a few of the outings I’m to which I’m looking forward (your mileage, as always, may vary). All times are EDT:

The Lusty Men (1952) – November 2nd, 12:00 noon – Can’t remember the last time I’ve seen this Nicholas Ray flick…or perhaps it would be more accurate to say TCM hasn’t run it since I purchased the DVD recorder. A really underrated movie, considered by many to be the best “rodeo film” ever made with three winning performances from stars Robert Mitchum, Susan Hayward and Arthur Kennedy.
The Fleet's In (1942) – November 4th, 10:00pm – TCM is showing this Paramount musical in conjunction with a new documentary (Johnny Mercer: The Dream’s On Me) they have scheduled celebrating Savannah’s native son (everybody genuflect). I saw it many moons ago and I kind of liked it; it stars TDOY fave Betty Hutton (along with Dorothy Lamour and William Holden), and was remade ten years later as one of the best Martin-Lewis vehicles, Sailor Beware (1952)—which coincidentally enough, features Hutton in a cameo (as “Hetty Button”).
The Young Stranger (1957) – November 7th, 5:00am – Don’t know how I keep managing not to catch this, but as a fan of director John Frankenheimer’s it’s pretty much a must-see for me.
Silent Sunday Nights – November 8th, 12:15-2:00am – TCM will salute baseball in silent cinema with showings of Felix Saves the Day (1922), The Busher (1919), His Last Game (1909) and Happy Days (1926).
Uncle Miltie – November 15th, 8:00-12:00pm – A salute to “Mr. Television” with back-to-back showings of Always Leave Them Laughing (1949) and Tall, Dark and Handsome (1941). Another television giant, Phil “Glad to see ya!” Silvers will get his due when TCM rolls out a rare showing of Top Banana (1954) on Wednesday, November 18th at 10:00am.

Falcon Fest – November 20th, 6:00am-8:00pm – A day long tribute to RKO’s long-running detective series starring George Sanders (and later George’s bro Tom Conway); The Gay Falcon (1941), A Date with the Falcon (1941), The Falcon Takes Over (1942), The Falcon's Brother (1942), The Falcon Strikes Back (1943), The Falcon in Danger (1943), The Falcon and the Co-eds (1944), The Falcon Out West (1944), The Falcon in Mexico (1944), The Falcon in Hollywood (1944) and The Falcon in San Francisco (1945). Following that hefty lineup are showings of two films that I discussed previously on the blog (and if you haven’t seen either of these, I urge you to do so): One Potato, Two Potato (1964) at 8:00pm and Hal Ashby’s The Landlord (1970) at 10. (Attention Mr. Rick “Cultureshark” Brooks: TCM will also run a Wheeler & Woolsey comedy, Mummy's Boys [1936] early in the am at 4:45.)

Violent Saturday (1955) – November 22nd, 8:00pm – Here’s an underrated little caper film that is shown occasionally on Fox Movie Channel, and what’s made me curious about this TCM showing is that it doesn’t indicate whether or not they’ll letterbox it (a similar situation with the scheduled showing of Good Morning, Miss Dove [1955] this month). I know a widescreen version exists because I have a VHS copy that I taped from FMC about ten years ago—but if this isn’t shown I’ll take a pass. At midnight, TCM will run the 1924 silent The Red Lily, a feature also available from the Warner Archive…and one that I’ll confess I’ve had an eye on for quite some time.
Federal Man (1950) – November 24th, 9:45pm – I’ve never seen this B-noir quickie but with a title like that I can’t help but be intrigued; TCM seems to have designated this day as “Femme Fatale Day” because they’ve filled the schedule with the likes of such noir classics as The Big Sleep (1946), The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946), The Big Clock (1948) and Dark Passage (1947). Then, beginning at 1:00am, a pair of B-pictures from Columbia’s Boston Blackie franchise: Meet Boston Blackie (1941) and Boston Blackie Goes Hollywood (1942). Both are these are among the best the popular movie series had to offer, and star Chester Morris as the reformed jewel thief whose motto I swiped for my profile page at Facebook: “Friend to those who have no friends…enemy to those who would make him an enemy.”

The Money Trap (1965) – November 25th, 4:15pm – This rarity, one of the first to be released in the Warner Archive, was given a lot of positive buzz by several of my fellow bloggers but none so more than Vince Keenan, who only has to suggest he might have enjoyed a particular movie and I’m on it like syrup on pancakes. Looking forward to checking this one out.
Electra Glide in Blue (1973) – November 27th, 3:45am – I’m a sucker for anything with Robert Blake (unless you’re planning to schedule some of the M-G-M Our Gang shorts he appeared in, and then I’ll have to hold you to the dictates of the Geneva Convention) but I’m curious as to why there’s no “letterbox” indication on this film, either. (Then again, I don’t know why TCM showed Hard Times [1975] last week with widescreen credits and pan-and-scan for the rest of the movie’s running time—it’s like that on the DVD, too—so I guess there are some movie mysteries we just can’t solve.)


John said...

Thanks for posting the November TCM schedule.
Another fun flick on TCM airs before "Top Banana" on November 18th at 8 a.m. eastern time. It's "Navy Blues" a delightful 1941 Warner Brothers musical comedy featuring Ann Sheridan, Martha Raye, Jack Oakie, Herbert Anderson, Jack Carson, Jackie Gleason, Richard Lane and Kay "Nyoka" Aldridge as part of the Navy Blues Sextette.
It's a lot of fun and makes me wish that Ann Sheridan had done more films like this.

Stacia said...

"The Money Trap" is one of my favorite movies. I highly recommend it.