Sunday, August 30, 2009

DVR-TiVo-Or whatever recording device strikes your fancy-alert!

Many apologies for the short notice on this one, but I just got a heads-up from Yair Solan (who, when not participating in the production of the DVD Becoming Charley Chase, sweeps up the floors at The World of Charley Chase) that TCM is rolling out the 1937 Technicolor short Hollywood Party (not to be confused with the 1934 feature film of the same name) that features our man Chase as the master of ceremonies (and for those with P.C. sensibilities, I’m going to warn you that he plays a stereotypical character dubbed “Charley Chan Chase”) of a fun two-reeler with appearances by Leon Errol, Clark Gable, Joan Bennett, Joe E. Brown, Anna May Wong and Freddie Bartholomew. I’ve not seen this short, but I do remember reading about its “discovery” in the TCM archives in 2001, so I’ve programmed the ol’ Toshiba and if Providence is on my side (we’ve had a bit of rain owing to the recent tropical storm action) I’ll be previewing it for the first time tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!

No comments: