Friday, August 14, 2009

“I said to myself when we’re old/We’ll go dancing in the dark/Walking through the park and reminiscing…”

Sean Dougherty, who’s currently the hardest-working spokesman on Facebook right now touting the joy that is the annual Friends of Old-Time Radio Convention, asked me if I could make a little room here at Thrilling Days of Yesteryear for a blurb letting interested parties know that the 2009 get together (number 34!) is scheduled for this October 22-25 at the Holiday Inn North, 160 Frontage Road (by Newark Airport). I’m only too happy to allow Sean make a pitch for so worthy an endeavor, and I’ll let the e-mail he sent me serve as an appetizer:

It's a four-day celebration of the stars of old time radio featuring live recreations of classic shows, panels, celebrity interviews, historical presentations, memorabilia, music and more.

The invited guest list looks great so far. I know everyone will enjoy seeing the great Simon Jones ("Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy") again. He will be fresh off a Broadway production of "Blithe Spirit" with Angela Lansbury. Another great returning guest is Richard Herd of Theater Five and who gained fame later with numerous television roles such as Admiral Paris on Star Trek, and Willhelm on Seinfeld. When he was last at FOTR in 1999, he not only acted and spoke on panels, he also volunteered on sound effects. (Ivan’s note: I’ll always remember Herd as one of the evil lizard aliens on the TV miniseries V.) Chuck McCann, a master impressionist and outstanding comedian and children’s' TV show host, is also a featured guest.

The full list of invited guests so far follows:

Arthur Anderson, Cliff Carpenter, Craig Wichman, Jay Stern, Elaine Hyman, Bill Owen, Corinne Orr, Rosemary Rice, Leslie Shreve (Ivan’s second note: No relation…), Max Wilk, Simon Jones, Chuck McCann, Clay Cole, Patrice Munsel, Sue Thompson, Buck Ford, Richard Herd, Michael Gwynne, Larry Conroy and wife, Christina Britton Conroy, Will Hutchins, Gloria McMillan, Shirley Mitchell, Ruth Last and singer Tracey Day.

What can I say? That is an amazing and incredible lineup of talent and if I had vast reservoirs of funds, I’d make the trek just to meet Gloria McMillan and Shirley Mitchell, two of my very faves. The full registration details can be found here and here’s a little more background info from Charlie Summers, guru of the Old-Time Radio Digest and professional curmudgeon-at-large. If you’re planning on attending and haven’t yet registered, hurry up before this opportunity disappears into the ether!

4 comments:

Pam said...

You know what I'm going to say. Right? So I guess there is no need to actually say it.

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

You know what I'm going to say. Right? So I guess there is no need to actually say it.

(Ivan stares at his vast blog audience a la Jack Benny, and ends up winning their sympathy in the process.)

Andrew Leal said...

OooOOOOOOooooh, do you?

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

Now cut that out!