Thursday, August 6, 2009

R.I.P, John Hughes

Bill Crider is amazing. (Yes, I know this is the second post I’ve mentioned him in today—why would I want on his bad side?) No sooner do I look away from the blog for a minute and he’s informing me of the passing of director-writer John Hughes, who succumbed to a heart attack earlier today. He was 59.

Since I’ve stated a good many times in the past that I’m an individual who was born way ahead of his time, I’m not going to hold forth for several paragraphs espousing the joys of The Breakfast Club (1985)—perhaps Hughes’ best-known and most-revered film. I didn’t like it when it came out, and I still feel pretty much the same way nearly twenty-five years later. The same goes for the other teen-oriented features that he either wrote and/or directed: Weird Science (1985), Weird Science (1986), Pretty in Pink (1986), etc. Hughes was responsible (though there were others) for the state of movies today: films that are geared toward young ticket-buyers and which try to pass off fart jokes and other toilet humor as material worthy of the Algonquin Round Table. Sixteen Candles (1984) is okay; but I really felt Hughes reached the apex of his career as a writer for National Lampoon—some of his pieces for the magazine were downright hysterical (even though they did contain that kind of humor I was railing about a sentence or two back) …including a short story called Vacation ’58 that became the basis for the screenplay of National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983).

R.I.P, John. You will be missed.


Scott C. said...

I had no use for Hughes's output as a screenwriter or director, but I didn't realize that he wrote Vacation '58!

Home Alone was an unholy crime against nature, but authoring a NatLamp story that features the archetypal 50s family driving cross country to Disneyland, and culminates with the Ward Cleaverish Dad shooting Walt Disney in the leg, almost--almost--makes up for Pretty in Pink.

Samuel Wilson said...

I feel the same way you do. This news is going to make a lot of people feel old, but I felt old back then when confronted with these films. I won't miss Hughes, but that's still too young for anyone to go.

True Religion Jeans said...

olden days story..

Cormac Brown said...

I'm not going to pretend that I loved everything the man did, it was rare that he made a film that was remotely geared to me ("The Breakfast Club" was the closest and I was twenty at the not really), yet the man kept me entertained.

He did make movies that in theory, everyone in the family could see and for better or worse, everyone I know watched everyone of his films or screenplays during the 80's and early 90's. I would have liked to have seen him try on more adult-oriented fare and now sadly, we will never get that chance.

Pam said...

No mention of Ferris Bueller's Day Off? The best of the lot.

bugged said...

He really was talented in that he could reach teenagers of any era (my college aged kid asked for a copy for one of her birthdays) and adults of all ages.