Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Who wants cake?

Six years ago today, I took the advice of a friend of mine in San Francisco and got myself one of those newfangled “blogs” that all the kids were talking about. I decided to create one about my hobby of collecting old-time radio shows after the first blog, a feeble attempt at political satire, was placed in a crate to be nailed shut and thrown off an unnamed cliff in the blogosphere, never to be heard from again. The new blog, Thrilling Days of Yesteryear, attracted a cult audience (which is the adjective people use to describe “tiny”) and by phasing out some elements and adding others, became the highly respected pop culture-nostalgia blog you now read today. (It’s not easy saying that with a straight face, by the way.)

I’d like to take this quick opportunity to thank everyone who currently reads TDOY and encourages my behavior—particularly the fine blogs listed on the right, who risk their fine reputations everyday by linking to me. I’d particularly like to thank Sheri Zollinger and Scott Clevenger at World O’Crap for providing specific inspiration (roughly translated as “Hey…if they can do it, I certainly can…”), and longtime supporters like Bill Crider, Elisson, Linda, Jaime Weinman, Vince Keenan, Brent McKee, Andrew Leal, Tony Figueroa, Harry Heuser, Jeff Kallman, Vince Paterno, Ed Copeland, Tom Sutpen and Stephen Cooke, Toby O’Brien, Tony Kay, the late Sam Johnson, Stacia, Rick Brooks and Matt Hinrichs. (Profuse apologies to anyone I may have left out.) As for the people who e-mail me with questions and/or just general positive feelings on how much they like the blog—particularly the ones who leave the anonymous observations in the comments section—well, I don’t blame you for wishing to remain anonymous. (You have to be careful when you’re running for City Council.)

It is my fervent wish to be able to continue amusing myself and others with Thrilling Days of Yesteryear for another year and many more to come. Everyone is welcome to have a generous slice of celebratory cake…all I ask is that you please use the drink coasters if you’re gonna set that glass of punch on the coffee table.

Bookmark and Share

15 comments:

philip schweier said...

Congratulations, Ivan. I've considered dipping my toe in the blogosphere, but you're a hard act to follow.

Scott C. said...

Congratulations, Ivan! I've always been impressed by your depth of knowledge, and ability to provide both critical insights and useful facts (as opposed to us, who basically just make mock of people who had no facts to begin with). Your Aunt Sheri and I are very proud of you.

May TDOY thrive for many thrilling tomorrowyears to come.

Vince said...

Six years and not a dip in quality. Congratulations, Ivan! Many happy returns.

Bill Crider said...

Congratulations on the anniversary. I never miss reading the blog. I'm always amazed at the interesting and entertaining posts.

HouseT said...

Congratulations on six glorious years. Even though you might not think it, you really have created a fine piece of blogitude here.

Keep doing what you do, and know that you're humbly invited to my Blogiversary, which should be sometime in... in... ****. I knew I forgot something last month.

Pam said...

Six years! Wow -- those just flew by.

Doghouse Riley said...

And many happy returns, Ivan.

Laura said...

Congratulations! And may you blog for many years to come. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

J.C. Loophole said...

Congrats Ivan- Thrilling remains a daily must for me, as always. Here's to many more years of writing and shameless self promotion!

movies said...

Many many happy returns of the day Ivan!..

Chris Riesbeck said...

Happy anniversary! I still look forward to each post.

VP81955 said...

Congratulations on six years (as someone whose 1,000th entry at "Carole & Co." will likely come later this month, I appreciate milestones!), and I wish you many more.

P.S. Did you see the Johnny Mercer documentary on TCM the other night? If not, I believe it will be repeated on Nov. 18, the centennial of his birth, when the channel will show Mercer-related films all day.

faustina said...

Ivan, congratulations, kid! I always look forward to the time when I can peruse your writings, though I haven't had much of that lately. (Hey, I'm already late to THIS party! Any cake left?)
I hope my first anniversary will be as much fun!

Stacia said...

their fine reputations

You take that back! My reputation is nothing if not surly and infamous.

Happy anniversary! How long does cake last, by the way?

Elisson said...

Congratulations on completing six (count 'em) bloggy trips around the sun!

One of the things that makes TDOY so fascinating is your passion for OTR, television, and movies - a passion that is coupled with a deep knowledge and (all too rare in the Bloggy-Sphere) an actual ability to write. You are a rare bird, Ivan - and long may you continue to fly.