Monday, March 22, 2010

Checking in, or Thrilling Days of Convalescence: Part 1

Hi, all…I just thought I’d take a bit of time to log in and change a few things, cosmetic-wise, that I thought Pam might not get to right away. (Speaking of which, I think you’re going to approve of her administration of TDOY while I’m on my sabbatical—she’s particularly strong in the area of celebrity passings, often sending me the info before I’ve had the opportunity to see it online.) I thought people might be a little tired of the melting nitrate film banner, so I changed it to something a bit more upbeat (I had to go through quite a few “medically-themed” images before I finally found the one that I figured would make me smile when I came across it…hopefully I won’t have to put up with it too long).

At the risk of running this into the ground, I just wanted to thank you all again for the uplifting e-mails, comments, well-wishings, etc. you all sent while I was in hospital. I don’t know precisely when I’m scheduled to return for an operation on my parathyroid gland (I have to call later today to schedule this with the surgeon) but the more I read up on this the more panicky I get. (Particularly the part about the potential nicking of the vocal cords, which could render me Roger Ebert-less.) So I’ve decided the best medicine is to simply…not read anymore on this subject. The way the doctors are talking, this gland of mine is the biggest they’ve ever seen (I can’t seem to do anything in moderation) so they don’t see how anything can possibly go wrong—as my sister Debbie (who’s in town to see me) remarked—“If it’s that big, it shouldn’t be too hard to find.”

If you glance at the section “Available at Radio Spirits” you’ll find the latest RS collection I contributed the liner notes to—a nice little four CD-set featuring Ronald Colman and wife Benita Hume in The Halls of Ivy. If you’re a Colman fan but know him only through his movies you should really check out the collection (those of you who may have heard the Colmans on The Jack Benny Program will know what I’m talking about); The Halls of Ivy, though relatively short-run on radio, is one of the finest, best-written situation comedies in the history of the aural medium.

Okay, I may be back a bit later once I recharge the batteries. Thanks for staying with me.

Bookmark and Share

20 comments:

Bill Crider said...

Sending good karma for that glad removal!

Pam said...

Good to see your update. I'm sure the girls from the harem are keeping you sufficiently entertained.

Peel me a grape!!!

Linda said...

Ivan, as one experienced in surgery in that area (I had my thyroid excised 20 years ago), a good surgeon should have you up and around in not time. Rest up. You're in our prayers.

J.C. Loophole said...

Ivan- it's good to at least hear from you a bit. I am sending many well wishes for a speedy recovery (and business cards in case you run into anyone needing a shyst...er, I mean representation. I'm as represhensible as the next advogate.)

Amanda Cooper said...

Good luck with your surgery and take care of yourself, Ivan!

Brent McKee said...

Get healthy quick pal. The world needs more people blogging about the important stuff, instead of frivolous things like politics.

Stacia said...

Good luck! My own experience: The women on mom's side of the family all had thyroid surgery [1] and not one had a complication. My understanding is basically what Linda said, a good surgeon will have you fixed in no time with no complications at all.

[1] Mom and one sister were able to take a radioactive pill instead. No joke! It came in a huge lead-lined container. Awesome much?

Scott said...

As long as your surgeon doesn't look like John Caradine, and isn't nattering on about "eternal Youth!" and "the 17th gland!" you should be fine.

Laura said...

Glad to hear from you directly, Ivan! We are all continuing to pull for you. Hang in there and check in when you're able!

Best wishes,
Laura

Toby O'B said...

All the best, buddy!

Remember to ask them to make that gland into a paperweight for you. But if it's that big, maybe it would make a better doorstop.....

Craig Zablo said...

Hang in there and rest your voice. You'll need it for your return here. ; )

bluefly said...

Dawwing,

How is it possible that you wecovered from your foost wound of pwocedures without my June-Allyson-wike devotion (and Kay-Fwancis-wike "r's")?

You know hospital bedside devotion this is my specialty! And you had better get well very soon, because Pammy's blog post was very funny ("He is using his "laying low" time to rest up, and on...piles and piles of movies.")

To inspire you, I've written a movie for you: Our Man in Ivana.

Tell me anything that I can do, bubela. Letting your pals know, and reaching out, is the nicest thing you could have done.

Stoicism drove me out of the Midwest!

Lots of love from

Margo a/k/a YSL (No, not the designer!)

Slywy said...

Ivan, I don't know you, but I'm in love just because you're familiar with the Halls of Ivy! I haven't heard it for a long time, but listened to it on Those Were the Days when Chuck Schaden was still hosting.

As for surgery, I've had a procedure and an outpatient-turned-inpatient surgery in the last two years, and they weren't nearly as bad as feared, plus after surgery I felt much improved. The surgeon was even able to recycle an old appendectomy scar!

faustina said...

I have thyroid issues myself, but no surgery talk as of yet. I tell ya, kid, it's good to see you back!

Tom said...

Wondered what happened to you. Sorry to hear of your illness. Here's hoping you get better soon. Take all the time you need. Love to read your blog, but getting better is your top priority.

Hal said...

Get well ASAP Ivan. Good luck; looking forward to reading multiple posts daily again!

KC said...

So good to hear from you! Good luck with the surgery.

Edward Copeland said...

Very glad to see that you are still out there. Hurry up and get well. I'm at a loss without my favorite blogger and my most faithful contributor. We both can't be the sick mascots at ECOF or nothing will ever get done. :-)

Doghouse Riley said...

Thinking a good thought for you every day. Which has been instructive, for me. It's like learning a foreign language.

Get back with us better'n new.

Jacqueline T Lynch said...

So good to hear from you again. Good luck on the repair job.