Monday, May 31, 2010

“Mister Allen…Mister Alllllennnnn…”

As you can tell from the Thrilling Days of Yesteryear banner, today is actor-director Clint Eastwood’s 80th birthday. I toyed with putting up a banner with a scene from Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo. (1966, aka The Good, the Bad and the Ugly) before inspiration struck and I went with the Rawhide pic, a nice screencap I rooked from DVD Talk. (I also considered using one from Dirty Harry [1971].)

But I would be remiss if I didn’t also recognize that today is the 116th natal anniversary of the man who has brought me more hours of laughter than any other comedian I can think of off the top of my head. Born John Florence Sullivan on this date, the name of Fred Allen may not come tripping off the tongue in the manner of other mirth makers but his talent lives on here at this tiny scrap of the blogosphere, and as such he deserves a shout-out at the very least.

Normally this space would contain an installment of “Mayberry Mondays”—and while I’ll try my darndest to complete it by this evening, I’ve been asked to come over to the ‘rents for a little cookout action which will eat up a bit of my free time (I plan to take my Stacia present over and watch it if I can remember how my sister Kat’s DVD player works). So if this should turn into a “Mayberry Tuesday” I apologize profusely in advance.

Bookmark and Share


simoncolumb said...

Can't go wrong with Rawhide. I just bought 'Shane' and I am thoroughly looking forward to watching it. I was, additionally, expecting to see Woody Allen as the 'allen' you referred to, but alas, i was wrong.

Jo and I gave you a shout out on your coverage of Dennis Hopper on this weeks podcast! do have a listen if you get a chance!


Jeff Overturf said...

From one big Fred Allen fan to another...Happy Natal Anniversary from Allen's Alley!

Great understated comic strip at the end as well.

VP81955 said...

Fred Allen was wonderful...even if we had to take the irritating Portland Hoffa in a package deal.

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

...even if we had to take the irritating Portland Hoffa in a package deal.

I know I'll be in the minority on this, but I loved Porty. I'm sure I'll get this quote wrong, but I think it was James Thurber who once opined that listening to Fred and Portland's banter was akin to "listening to Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald's duets in Maytime."