Friday, May 14, 2010

No, not the East Side Kids vehicle from 1945…von Sternberg…

David Greenstreet at the blog has a blurb up that confirms what was originally mused about on this blog a week or two back—that the upcoming Josef von Sternberg Criterion release due out on August 24th will indeed contain The Docks of New York (1928) in addition to Underworld (1927) and The Last Command (1928). (I said that I’d buy it for a dollar but according to the ClassicFlix post it’s going to retail for $79.95…though they’re offering it at a discounted price of $64.99.)

I have a pretty good copy of Docks that I obtained from the Stephen Cooke archives five years ago…and my copy of Underworld came from (which they have since discontinued), so ultimately it will come down to a question of whether I want to shell out that much lucre for Last Command. Why aren’t I independently wealthy?

To further complicate matters, I noticed while I was over there that Infinity Entertainment has the fourth season of The Real McCoys scheduled for release on DVD June 29th. ClassicFlix has this discounted, too, at $21.99. (These folks must think I’m made of money!)

Bookmark and Share


Drew said...

I am really pumped about this release, surely one of THE dvd releases of the year. Criterion normally does an exceptional job on their box sets, so I will in all likelihood be shelling out disposable income I don't have to grab this come August. Love the classy cover also.

Throw a couple of Zwigoff's and a Pialat in and you have another solid month from CC.

Samuel Wilson said...

August, huh. That gives me time to save money. I have to have this one.