Friday, May 14, 2010

Okay, who’s going to break the news to my Mom?

From TV Squad:

NBC has reportedly pulled the plug on its long running legal series, 'Law & Order,' Deadline is reporting.

Sources for the online news site claim the decision was made due to NBC's upcoming development slate and 'Law & Order''s sagging ratings, which have been weak all season.

According to an updated report from the NY Times' Media Decoder blog, producer Dick Wolf's production company broke the news to show members via telephone this afternoon. Cast members were also informed, the report says.

If confirmed, 'Law & Order' would end after 20 seasons on NBC, thus preventing it from breaking 'Gunsmoke''s record as the longest-running drama in television history.

Truth be told, my mother doesn’t watch the new episodes much (hence the sagging ratings)—she always remarks, shrugging her shoulders in resignation, “It’s just not the same since Lennie died,” referring to the passing of actor Jerry Orbach.

And though I realize I’m engaging in a bit of schadenfreude…this cancellation news actually makes me a little giddy, insomuch as I’d hate to see Gunsmoke’s record broken. We shall see what we shall see.

(A generous doff of the TDOY chapeau to J. Kingston Pierce at The Rap Sheet for alerting me to this bit o’gossip.)

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Pam said...

Schadenfreude!! I can honestly say I don't remember the last time I saw that word used. Congrats!