Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A place for my stuff

This morning, as I was putting the finishing touches on my Hoosiers post, I thought briefly about mentioning how disappernted I was not to see the late Dennis Hopper feted with a major tribute (more than just the one film, I mean) courtesy of The Greatest Cable Channel Known to Mankind™. (Incidentally, if you’re wondering why you hear a cash register ring every time I write that phrase, it’s just Rick Brooks cashing another royalty check.) Thank goodness I reserved comment because according to this blurb TCM will honor Mr. H with a mini-marathon of five films to be shown Thursday, June 8th: The Sons of Katie Elder (1965, 8:00pm), True Grit (1969, 10:15pm), Rebel Without a Cause (1955, 12:30am), Easy Rider (1969—natch; 2:30am) and Night Tide (1961, 4:15am). I’ve seen all of these except the last, which I am going to make an effort to record (by the way, this special presentation is going to pre-empt the Saint movies they planned to show that evening) after reading about it in Danny Peary’s Guide For the Film Fanatic.

Memorial Day found me ensconced at the old Double K Ranch (aka sister Kat’s) and I brought along the Criterion edition of Stagecoach (1939) that TDOY pal Stacia was gracious enough to send me. I had quite the degree of difficulty in starting the presentation because my parents had no idea where the remote to the DVD player was and being unfamiliar with the device, I sort of just punched buttons until the movie came on. We watched a good bit of it up until the time my sister-in-law brought my nephew downstairs to visit…and of course, Nephew Time always takes precedent over an appointment with the Duke. So I still haven’t had an opportunity to check out all the bells and whistles on this two-disc set but hope to have a further gander at it later on in the week. In the meantime, Jen Chaney has a swell review of this new edition over at The Washington Post.

And while I’m on the subject of friend Stacia, allow me to extend the heartiest of congratulations to her for getting the tap at Movie FanFare with a great review of the James Garner-Sidney Poitier oater Duel at Diablo (1966). (My favorite part is when she describes how convincing character great John Hoyt is as a redskin.) You can read it there or clicking here will take you to the post.

Facebook compadre Scott Marks at the San Diego Uptown News wrote a first-rate piece about the reconstruction efforts taking place on the silent classic Metropolis (1927)…and another one of my chums on the ‘book, Marilyn Ferdinand, hits one out of the park with an incisive look at a particular TDOY favorite in the film noir pantheon, Brute Force (1947). Both are well worth the time investment.

This article at was an interesting read, talking about “the unhealthiest restaurant chain in America.” I could have sworn it was going to be KFC (“the crack cocaine of fast food”), particularly with their new Double Down menu item (or as my Mom and I have dubbed it, “the sandwich of the Red Death”) but the answer was generally surprising.

RGJ at Television Obscurities observes that RTN (or RTV or whatever they’re calling themselves now) affiliate KVHC in Kerrville, Texas (channel 15) streams its broadcasts online via—and that means that if the Retro Television Network isn’t available in your neck of the swamp you can satisfy your Rifleman or Peter Gunn jones while seated in front of your computer. In fact, he specifically states: “Because the stream is live, you can’t jump around to specific programs. So if you want to watch Run For Your Life you’ll have to be in front of your computer at 3PM Eastern/2PM Central on Saturday or Sunday. But if you don’t get RTN in your area and really want to see Run For Your Life, the KVHC stream is for you.”

Fans of classic screen comedy might be interested in this essay from the Los Angeles Times’ Susan King that discusses the just-released DVDs from Red Skelton and Joe E. Brown from the Warner Archive…and the soon-to-be released Bob Hope collection we chatted about at the end of April. Apart from referring to Road to Morocco (1942) as “the best of the ‘Road’ pictures” (it’s not—Road to Utopia [1945] is) it’s a jolly good thumb-through (King does nail it when she refers to The Ghost Breakers [1940] as “side-splitting”).

Finally, from the “You-like-me-you-really-like-me” department, I was pleased as punch to see this ‘umble scrap of the blogosphere make a list of “600 Movie Blogs You Might Have Missed” at…though if I may say with only a slight trace of cynicism that if they tallied up six hundred blogs TDOY was bound to be in there somewhere. No, all seriousness aside, I’m just tickled to be included among such notables as…well, here’s where the classic film blogs start (I’m down at the bottom), you can see for yourself.

Bookmark and Share


Stacia said...

“the sandwich of the Red Death”


Thanks for the shout-out Ivan -- and yay, we're both on the list! Woo! U-S-A! U-S-A!

I think that TCM planned something for Dennis almost as soon as he passed. About 2 days ago I got a cancellation notice in my inbox for "The Star" which was to show on TCM on the 8th.

Every time I see John Hoyt in "Duel at Diablo", I inexplicably shout "Herman, get down here" in Grandpa Munster voice. ("Hoiman!")

Flickhead said...

Kudos on the Buffalo Drive-In banner pix. I believe the last time I was there was for a late 70s double feature of Giant Spider Invasion plus Night of the Cobra Woman. In respect to your Dennis Hopper remembrance, I saw him there, too, in The Glory Stompers!

M. Bouffant said...

Thanks for the Metropolis link. Just saw the restored version last wk., & will be interested to read it.