Wednesday, July 28, 2010

“Lazybones/Sleepin' in the sun/How you 'spect to get your day's work done...”

Bill Crider pointed me toward this interesting article at BusinessWeek.com on “America’s Laziest States 2010.” The bizarre thing is, Georgia is not even in the Top 20 (something that is still making me scratch my head in bewilderment)—Louisiana is Numero Uno—but guess who’s at #7 with a bullet? “Oh, those West Virginia hills…how majestic and how grand…”

Time sleeping: 8 hours, 27 minutes

Time watching TV: 2 hours, 55 minutes

Time relaxing and thinking: 24 minutes

Time socializing: 58 minutes

Time working (averaged over total population ages 15 and older): 2 hours, 50 minutes

Median age: 40.5

Obesity ranking: No. 4 (31.3 percent)

Residents of the Mountain State spend less time reading and play fewer games than most, but they rank No. 1 for time spent socializing, nearly one hour per day. Yet data show that for most people, this does not mean having a workout buddy: In a CDC study, about one-third of respondents had not exercised in the past month, making it one of the most physically inactive states. One explanation for the sedentary lifestyle is that West Virginia is the country's third-oldest state, with a median age of 40.5, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. (However, Vermont, which has an even higher median age of 40.9, bucks the trend, ranking as one of the most active states.)

I’d like to think that the reason WV only made it to number seven is because I’m no longer living there.

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Raquelle said...

Thanks for linking to this! I'm surprised New York made it on the list. I'm NOT surprised Massachusetts is absent since we are sleep-deprived, coffee-guzzling, workaholics up here.

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

I'm NOT surprised Massachusetts is absent since we are sleep-deprived, coffee-guzzling, workaholics up here.

The thought of that has just worn me out. I'm off for a nap...

B. Goode said...

I'm doing ALL I can to help SC move up the list :-)

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

I'm doing ALL I can to help SC move up the list :-)

That's the spirit!