Thursday, July 15, 2010

R.I.P, Vonetta McGee

I just saw this over at Bill Crider’s (who got it from TDOY pal Doc Quatermass): actress Vonetta McGee, whose foxy presence brightened many a 1970s blaxploitation flick, has passed away at the age of 65. She died Friday as a result of an incident of cardiac arrest at the hospital where she was being treated.

This is really devastating news to hear. I was a huge fan of Vonetta’s, having seen her in films like Blacula (1972—McGee and Denise Nicholas in the same vampire flick…yowsah!) and Shaft in Africa (1973) when I was a mere sprat staying up all hours of the night and gazing at late show movies. Among her other films: The Kremlin Letter (1970), Melinda (1972), Hammer (1972), Thomasine & Bushrod (1974), The Eiger Sanction (1975), Repo Man (1984) and To Sleep with Anger (1990).

McGee also had an extensive television resume, particular with recurring roles in series like Hell Town, Cagney & Lacey, Bustin’ Loose and L.A. Law. She also guested on the likes of Police Woman, Starsky and Hutch, Diff’rent Strokes, Magnum, P.I. and Amen.

R.I.P, Vonetta. You will be sorely missed.

Bookmark and Share


Matt-suzaka said...

Wow, that's too bad. She was quite beautiful with eyes as big as I have ever seen. I love Repo Man and she was also in Sergio Corbucci's Western classic, The Great Silence.

Scott C. said...

Mystery Science Theater 3000 fans will remember McGee as Clifton Davis's sultry moll in the 1978 TV movie "Superdome," which was riffed during MST3K's beta season at Minneapolis UFH station KTMA.