Monday, October 4, 2010

Happy birthday, Buster…and other quick items of interest

Joseph Francis Keaton, Jr. celebrates his 115th natal anniversary today…but because I’m in the middle of trying to make certain today’s Mayberry Mondays gets done in time I’ll have to be brief. The first silent comedy I remember seeing as a kid was Chaplin’s The Gold Rush (1925), but when I got around to seeing The General (1926) I knew I was hooked as far as that went. (It also helped that I grew up watching Keaton’s Columbia shorts as a child, which is why I picked the above still from Pest From the West [1939] above.) must have had a tremendous response to their Daily Deep Deal offering of Thriller: The Complete Series because they made it available all through the weekend. It’s over with now, but I was fortunate enough to get the opportunity to order a copy after negotiations with mi madre that went surprisingly smooth.

It’s been sort of “Free DVD” week here at Rancho Yesteryear—I was over at the ‘rents Saturday for dinner and a package arrived at the house with DVD copies of Halloween (1978) and Frankenstein (1931); two premiums that I ordered from CharredHer using my tremendous reserve of reward points (I also acquired an American Movie Classics pen and soup mug…the latter which was almost wrapped by sister Kat as a Christmas present to me until I busted her out.) When I got home Sunday, I found an e-mail waiting for me from my good friend Jacqueline Lynch at Another Old Movie Blog letting me know that I was the winner in her “Rich Man, Poor Man” giveaway—the prize being a DVD of the popular 1976 mini-series (and subsequent sequel a year later) recently released to disc by A&E. I was positively gobsmacked at hearing I won, because something like that doesn’t happen very often…and I’ve been so busy lately that I didn’t even check over at her ‘umble blog to see the results.

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Clifton said...

I played the theater organ for Buster's Damfinos when they first started their annual convention here in Muskegon, Michigan where Buster's family had a summer home.
Fans from around the world show up every year. Happy birthday to the great stoneface.