Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Jump starting my morning

If it appears like I’m having trouble getting something up on the blog this morning, this bit at the Daily Beast might explain why:

Giants Beat Braves, Cox Retires

The San Francisco Giants beat and eliminated the Atlanta Braves from the National League Division Series Monday night—a victory that ended the career of retiring Braves Manager Bobby Cox. The fourth-winningest baseball manager of all time, Cox first managed the Braves from 1978 to 1981, then served as general manager from 1985 to 1990, and managed again from 1990 to 2010. The Braves appeared in 14 consecutive postseasons from 1991 to 2005. “It doesn’t feel like this is the last time I’m putting it on, but it certainly is, and I won’t put it on again,” Cox said after the game. The Giants will go on to play the Philadelphia Phillies in the National League Championship Series.

Now, realistically I pretty much knew the Braves didn’t have a shot this year (they had injuries out the wazoo and couldn’t hit for sh*t) but the sentimentalist in me would have like to seen Bobby go out a major winner with at least one more National League championship pennant. I make no bones about the fact that I’m an Atlanta Braves fan (and have been ever since Hank Aaron broke Ruth’s home run record in 1974) despite the grief I get in certain quarters and I will miss Cox, even though he’ll still be with the organization (probably working the concession stand, putting the cheese on the nachos or something). A couple of weeks ago my Mom (another dedicated fan) and I watched the tribute with which they honored Cox before the start of one game and when they rolled out a gift of a portrait painted in his honor we both agreed that all that was missing was his throwing down his baseball cap in anger in the painting.

This recap of last night’s game at the New York Times had an interesting observation: “Cox’s 1995 team won a World Series, but there was some disappointment that the Braves could not add more than one crown with so many opportunities.” I sort of have to shoulder the blame for that, because many, many years ago I made a bargain with the Supreme Being that if the Braves could win just one Series I’d never ask for another…and I didn’t. (A good friend of mine told me at the time that no Braves team based in Atlanta would ever win a World Series…afterward, he told me the crow was pretty good but it could have used a pinch more salt.)

Anyway, I just want to congratulate the San Francisco Giants on their win...wake me when the season starts again in March 2011.

Rick Brooks of the internationally respected weblog Cultureshark sent me a Facebook message this morning pointing me toward this NPR Fresh Air story by David Bianculli about how none of the major networks (or cable outlets like TVLand) saw fit to observe the fiftieth birthdays of My Three Sons or The Andy Griffith Show (apparently Boomerang did mention the golden anniversary of The Flintstones). (I dashed off an e-mail to Mr. Bianculli to let him know TDOY did commemorate these milestones but I am red-faced embarrassed to admit that I forgot to mention You Bet Your Life turned 60 yesterday, and for that I am truly regretful.)

Finally, the Daily Beast has a list of “most hypocritical states”—those states that have the largest percentage of Tea Party wackadoos while at the same time enjoying the most amount of time sucking at the public teat. My home state of West Virginia ranks at #7…my adopted state of Georgia is at #20.

Bookmark and Share


Stacia said...

Interesting Daily Beast article, but to be really enlightening, they needed to figure out government funding per Tea Partier, not just per person. No idea if that stat could even be compiled, though.

Toby O'B said...

Actually, TV Land did have "50 Days of Andy" leading up to the fiftieth anniversary, with all day marathons every day of the show.

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

Actually, TV Land did have "50 Days of Andy" leading up to the fiftieth anniversary, with all day marathons every day of the show.

My not knowing this has a lot to do with the fact that I gave up on TVLand ages ago (do I really care about Harry Hamlin and Lisa Rinna's marriage? I think not) but it must have escaped Bianculli's radar. He mentions that "TV Land at least showed a four-hour block of episodes that day to honor the event — but made sure the celebration was over before prime time," so he must have missed out on the marathon, too.

As for the channel's new obsession with the state of the Hamlins, allow me to steal a quote from Chairman Brooks of the Cultureshark Institute: "How about instead, a show called "Viewers Love Classic Reruns?" Or better yet, just show some?"