Tuesday, March 8, 2011

“…Lobster Thermidor aux Crevettes with a Mornay sauce garnished with truffle pâté, brandy and with a fried egg on top and Spam.”

Sunday evening, some technically proficient miscreant who apparently doesn’t have enough extracurricular activities to occupy his/her free time hacked into my Gmail account and sent everyone on my contact list a generous offer to purchase what I believe to be (I didn’t click on the link, obviously—my blogging compadre at Allure gave me the heads up) Canadian Viagara (“I can’t get it up, eh…”)  If you happened to be on the list—and there were a goodly number of people targeted, even some innocent folks who just e-mailed me once to ask a question and then attempted no further communication—and received such an e-mail…well, I can’t apologize enough for the intrusion.  The only comfort we can take from this incident is that when the guilty people are caught (and they will be) they will be flown to another country under this nation’s rendition policy and subjected to an endless loop of Margaret O’Brien movies without food, water or sleep.  (Does this fit the legal definition of torture?  The Justice Department has yet to rule on this matter.)

I know things have been a bit quiet on the blog of recent but I’m hoping to get a few things posted within the next few days particularly since I watched a few new classic movies (well, new to me) and I’m kind of anxious to hold forth on them.  I did contribute a pair of pieces to Edward Copeland on Film…and More that are little bit beyond the normal bailiwick of TDOY—one of them on a documentary about a disreputable family from my home state of West Virginia (which I did not care for) and the other about a legendary 1968 football game between Ivy League rivals Harvard and Yale (which I heartily recommend if you’ve not seen it).  I watched two more documentaries this weekend via Showtime on Demand, which is starting to become my new movie BFF even though I still have not been able to determine the criteria by which they decided to show letterbox films.  The other day, I made plans to revisit the 1996 film Sling Blade only to switch it off in disgust when it was the pan-and-scan version…and yet movies like Hello Again (1987) and Ernest Scared Stupid (1991) are displayed in widescreen format.  It baffles science!

Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

Amanda Cooper said...

So sorry to hear your account was hacked, but I'm glad you've got it back now.

P.S. I think an endless loop of Margaret O'Brien movies could be nothing BUT torture. I always zip through the scenes that are all about her in Meet Me in St. Louis.

Jeff Overturf said...

science is indded baffled.

Stacia said...

“I can’t get it up, eh…”

Ha!

I wasn't brave enough to check out the link, what with just getting over an attack of scareware and the accompanying trojan virus myself. I still say there's something new in the Internet water supply that's responsible for the recent havoc.

ClassicBecky said...

I think torture would be an endless loop of The Lawrence Welk Show. It makes me shiver just to think of it. Maybe that's hell!

BTW, I love all the separate ingredients in your recipe, except SPAM. My Dad fought in World War II, and there were 2 dishes we NEVER had in all my childhood -- Spam and biscuits with gravy -- the GIs called that "sh.. on a shingle." LOL

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

See, I always equate creamed chipped beef on toast as "sh*t on a shingle"--that's what my father always called it, anyway. (He grew up on biscuits and gravy, so to not have them on the kitchen table at Casa del Shreve would have been a culinary outrage.)

I did a post on Spam a goodly while back and I think the consensus was either some people like it (I myself think it's pretty tasty fried up proper) or they don't--these are generally people who grew up eating it when they were young and have no desire to revisit the dish.

And then there are some folks who've never had the pleasure of dining on either dish...not that I'll mention names, but if you remove the first letter in "spam" that will give you an obvious clue.

ClassicBecky said...

THAT'S it...you are right. Something was nagging at my brain that biscuits and gravy didn't sound right. It WAS creamed chipped beef on toast, which looks more like the GI name than anything one would actually want to eat!

Dawn said...

Sorry to hear your account was hacked into, but I'm glad you've got it back now. I can not understand why people think that hacking into computers is fun.