Friday, April 15, 2011

All my children no longer have one life to live

Yes, the news you’ve been hearing is true…and even though I don’t have a dog in this fight (the soaps that were prevalent in Casa del Shreve, like As the World Turns and Guiding Light, have already been put out to pasture) my deepest sympathy goes with the people who live for their “stories”:

In a crushing blow to the daytime soap genre, ABC announced today that it will yank All My Children and One Life to Life and replace them with two lifestyle shows.  AMC will end in September, followed by OLTL in January 2012, to make way for shows dubbed The Chew and The Revolution. In an announcement, ABC says “these new shows expand ABC Daytime’s focus to include more programming that is informative and authentic and centers on transformation, food and lifestyle — cornerstones of programming that resonates with daytime viewers as evidenced by the success of The View.”


The actors on both soaps were told less than 20 minutes before the announcement went wide to the press this morning. (Frons addressed the AMC folks in person on the west coast while the New York-based OLTL was videolinked). General Hospital, the third most-watched sudser in daytime, will not be affected by the changes.

Stay classy, ABC!

The Chew will be produced by Gordon Elliot (Paula Deen’s Home Cooking) and is a one-hour series that enables viewers to “get the dish” on anything and everything related to the world of food and beyond.  Hosts will include Mario Batali (Iron Chef America), entertaining expert Clinton Kelly (What Not to Wear), Carla Hall (Top Chef), Michael Symon (Iron Chef America), and nutrition expert Daphne Oz.

Get it?  It’s called The Chew…’cause it rhymes with The View.  “It’s such a fine line between stupid and clever.”

The Revolution, from Executive Producer JD Roth and 3 Ball Productions (The Biggest Loser), will be a daily show about health and lifestyle transformations. The show is hosted by a team of experts and rotating guest contributors and will feature a “unique concept.” ABC says: “Each week one woman’s five-month weight loss journey will unfold in just five days, with daily results and a final transformational reveal on Friday.”

Yeah, I’ll have to make doubly sure I have the DVD recorder set at the end of the week.  What’s going to happen when they finally manage to axe all of daytime TV’s remaining serial dramas?  Will SoapNet just be referred to as Net?

Bookmark and Share


ClassicBecky said...

Oh man! You know, Ivan, I used to think soap operas were a waste of air waves, but when I see what they are to be replaced with, they look better and better. "The Chew"? I don't even like "The View". These pseudo-medical, let's-all-get-fit shows make me want to eat an entire Sara Lee cheesecake. Celebrity gossip, celebrities pontificating on their political views - who cares and why should we care?

I watched one soap for about a year in 1973-74, The Young and the Restless. I myself at the time was very young and, well, somewhat restless. I had my first baby and lots of time at home. If TCM had existed, that would have been on all day. Other than that, my favorite soap opera was Carol Burnett's As The Stomach Turns. That was cancelled too, and I still miss it! LOL.

ClassicBecky said...

Oh, I forgot -- not much has changed in show biz, has it? Telling a cast they are out of work 20 minutes before it is anounced -- loyalty and compassion reign in the entertainmnet industry!

trueclassics said...

Sadly, SOAPnet was already going to be put to pasture before this news came down yesterday ... Disney-ABC announced last year that the channel will turn into Disney Junior in January 2012. All the better to compete with Nickelodeon, I suppose.

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

Sadly, SOAPnet was already going to be put to pasture before this news came down yesterday ...

Thanks for the heads-up on this, t.c. (Do close friends get to call you that? Provided it's with dignity, I mean.)

DorianTB said...

Ivan, I've never been a soap opera fan, but I'm sorry to see the soaps, being the end of an era and all. What worries me is that the soaps are being replaced by *gulp!* more reality TV! The horror, the horror.... :-)

Brent McKee said...

The only soap that I ever really watched was "The Edge of Night" so my only interest here is that these shows used to precede "my" show. Still this is bad news when you think of some of the names that came out of these shows (just two examples - Sarah Michelle Gellar and Nathan Fillion).

Still it is surely "brilliant" marketing to have one show about cooking followed by a show on "health" and losing weight.

trueclassics said...

Most folks call me Brandie, but t.c. works, too. Just don't call me Shirley.

And you're welcome. :)

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

The only soap that I ever really watched was "The Edge of Night" so my only interest here is that these shows used to precede "my" show.

I was also a big fan of The Edge of Night but I stopped watching it when it left CBS and went to ABC -- and this wasn't because I was ticked off or anything, it was because our ABC affiliate stopped showing it. Night and Dark Shadows were really about the only two soaps I ever had any interest in...though a friend of mine who was a Days of Our Lives fan lamented some of the loopy plots that occurred on that show and I told her: "Hey...demonic possession can only help a soap opera."

mndean said...

I really didn't watch soaps except when I visited people or was at home waiting for the color set to be freed for my use. In fact, I became a color commentator and annoyed more than one person. Which soap was it that had Margaret Colin? She was so drily humorous I tagged her as being someone who ought to be in the movies when I was a pup. I also thought Lisa Rinna was too energetic for the daytime soap genre.

Interesting that Dark Shadows was the only soap I ever willingly watched on my own TV as a kid. In college I remember a large group of students huddled around the TV in the student union to watch General Hospital. Struck me as weird.

ClassicBecky said...

How could I have forgotten about Dark Shadows? I was a rabid fan, ran home from school to watch it every day. Just recently got a zillion episodes from Netflix and watched them all!

jnpickens said...

Awww that's horrible. I grew up on "All My Children" when my mom watched it. With all of Erica's marriages and Dixie dying off and coming back 2 or 3 times...sigh those were the days of my childhood hahaha