Saturday, April 2, 2011

Heaven is a girl named Emmylou…so happy birthday!

Just thought I’d check in with you for a sec and let you know that I am working on something for the blog but that I was briefly sidetracked with an essay that I agreed to contribute to honor a film’s anniversary at Edward Copeland on Film…and More tomorrow. (No fair peeking at which one it is—you’ll just have to skate over there and see for yourself.) But be sure to be back here on Monday because this ‘umble little scrap of the blogosphere is once again going to give you an opportunity to win fabulous prizes! (There is nothing sweeter than free swag, let me tell you.)

Facebook chum Paul Dionne reminded me that today is Natal Anniversary No. 64 for one of my and Jeff Overturf’s favorite pretend girlfriends, the Grammy and CMA Award-winning country music goddess Emmylou Harris. The Country Music Hall of Fame singer-songwriter’s music has long been a soundtrack of my life here at Rancho Yesteryear, with such faves as If I Could Only Win Your Love, (You Never Can Tell) C’est La Vie (a great cover of the Chuck Berry classic), To Daddy (written by Dolly Parton), Two More Bottles of Wine, Easy From Now On, Beneath Still Waters and so many more I could be here all day listing them.

But one of my favorite Emmylou songs wasn’t written or recorded by her but about her—a country-gospel group named Brush Arbor sang a musical paean to her (titled Emmylou) on an album they released in 1976 (Page One) and though it failed to make a huge amount of noise as a single (it bottomed out at #90) the Oak Ridge Boys covered it on their LP Y’all Come Back Saloon, which is where I first became familiar with the song. Took me years of searching every dingy music-sharing café on the Internets to find it, but I eventually located my personal Grail and so I thought I’d spin this one for the lady herself…

Bookmark and Share


Bill Crider said...

Excellent stuff. I love Emmylou.

Rich said...

I worked in a Tower Records when "Wrecking Ball" came out. It was one of a number of CDs we'd get in advance and would play in the store. One day I decided to play it for the heck of it and I instantly fell in love with it. I've been a fan of hers ever since.