Thursday, April 28, 2011

“You cannot bash in the head of an American citizen without written permission from the State Department….”


In Stardust Memories (1980), director-star Woody Allen has a little fun at his own expense (not to mention his fans) when he allows the filmmaker he plays in the movie, Sandy Bates, to be approached by devotees who gush that they’re huge fans of his work, especially his “early, funny movies.”  I can’t help but laugh out loud every time I see this because I admittedly prefer most of Allen’s early vehicles as opposed to the somewhat pretentious content of the films in the twilight of his career.  One of my favorites is Bananas (1971), a film that released to theaters forty years ago on this date and which you can read about over at Edward Copeland on Film…and More—in the essay I discuss how the Woodman pays tribute to many of the film comics of the past, notably the great silent clowns (Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd), Bob Hope and especially The Marx Brothers.

And since I couldn’t think of a proper way to finish this post, here’s the trailer for the film on that newfangled YouTube the younger folk keep talking about:


Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Elisson said...

Bananas is still one of my favorite Woody Allen movies... right behind Annie Hall, in fact.

Hard to believe that movie has been around 40 years. It may be a little dated, but it's still hysterical.

I still piss my pants laughing at the scene with the interpreter, but it would be impossible to catalogue all of the chucklicious lines and scenes.

Elisson said...

Oh, and notice that great movie poster. The artist is Jack Davis, who (IIRC) is still a resident of Athens, GA (or very close by).

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

a resident of Athens, GA (or very close by)

While I knew the art was by Davis (you can't have collected MAD and TV Guides without not knowing) I wasn't hip to the fact that we can call him "neighbor" -- thanks for the info!

ClassicBecky said...

How did I miss this post?! I ADORE Woody Allen. Obviously Annie Hall, but my other favorite is (oh my gosh, I think I've forgotten the name! How embarrassing). Is it "Love and Death"? Anyway, it's the one where he is the runt son in the Russian family -- that is such a hilarious movie. I haven't seen Bananas in a long time but I loved it.

And what's with this "young folks" bit about YouTube? What are you, a young-looking 90-year old? LOL

ClassicBecky said...

Perhaps your picture is really one of you great-grandson....