Tuesday, June 21, 2011

"It all began at a small 5000 watt radio station in Fresno, California…"

When I first started Thrilling Days of Yesteryear back in November 2003, I got into the blog business for one reason and one reason only.  Women.  I was told at the time that girls couldn’t get enough of bloggers, and my fellow online diarists told me wild and fantastic tales of outrageous parties where the liquor would flow freely and there were rock bands and snacks and females with bodacious ta-ta’s who would take off their tops at a moment’s notice.  Two months into the blog, I learned to my disappointment that none of this was true…sadly, however, the practice of coercing impressionable young people into blogging via these boldface lies continues…only now I think they use the rationale to get folks Twittering.

I am, of course, being facetious about this: I started blogging because I like to write, and I write about movies, TV and OTR because a woman who taught me English when I attended Ravenswood Penitentiary High School drilled into my mush-filled teenage skull that I should “write what I know.”  I’m not saying, mind you, that if there were bigger financial benefits to blogging (money, travel, fast cars, etc.) some of the stuff here wouldn’t be better written…but mostly I scribble down whatever pops into my feverish brain simply because I get such a kick out of doing so.

I certainly don’t write with the purpose of winning awards (most of the time, someone telling me “Hey, I liked what you had to say about G-Men Never Forget” is all the thanks I need) but it is always a pleasure receiving accolades from fellow bloggers, and one that I’m pleased to announce occurred this past week when Thrilling Days of Yesteryear took second prize in the Large Association of Movie Blogs’ 2011 LAMMY Awards.  TDOY was the runner-up in the Best Classic Film Blog category—the top trophy going to one of my favorite classic film blogs, Where Danger Lives.  I know people often say that close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades but in this particular instance to be in the same company not only with “The Professor’s” blog but True Classics: The ABCs of Classic Film ("All the shimmering stars in the cinema firmament..."), The Hollywood Revue ("Where we're always ready for our close-up...") and Defiant Success ("Now taking applications for a snappy motto...") is an honor above and beyond…um…well, honordom, I guess.  (Hey…I could have finished second to The Dark of the Matinee and probably would have had it competed in the Classic Film Blog sweepstakes.)  I think so highly of Mark’s WDL that he even got my LAMMY vote, and he was kind enough to say (once my check cleared) that both I and TDOY were “the lynchpin of the classic film blogging community”—which seems fitting, as there are one or two people over at the LAMB who have wanted to lynch me for some time now.  (Rimshot!  Try the veal!)

The other honor that I got to put in the TDOY trophy case was third-place recognition for my essay in this past weekend’s Roger Corman Blogathon at Forgotten Classics of Yesteryear…and I think in some ways I was more gobsmacked by this announcement because I participated in the Blogathon for the sheer joy of it—I’ve never made any secret about my admiration and respect for “the king of the B’s” and I just thought it would be kicky to toss in my two copper pennies with a piece on one of my favorite Corman vehicles, A Bucket of Blood (1959).  My profuse thanks to Nathanael Hood at FCY for singling me out—Nathanael deserves a big honkin’ trophy all his own for sponsoring “Cormanthon” and making it a real treat to be a part of.  In fact, we had so much fun and wacky hi-jinks with the Rog Blogathon that Nathanael is announcing a new blogathon for July 27-August 3:  Monster Movie Mania!!!


You better know it—five weeks from now, fee fee fi fi fo fo fum it’ll be a Monster’s Holiday, or as I have taken to calling it, “Monster Mash.”  Turning the floor of his blog into a giant mud pit (not for monster trucks, but just plain ol' monsters) Nathanael is already taking requests for essays that must feature these two qualifications:

1) The film must be from 1950-1959.
2) The film must be centered around a MONSTER!!

And…the nifty thing about this is you’re not limited to films produced and released in the U.S., so there’ll no doubt be vehicles like Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956) and Rodan (1956) in the mix.  In swapping a few e-mails with Mr. Hood yesterday I told him I would write a review on Tarantula (1955), because if watching John Agar battle a giant arachnid alongside the lovely Mara Corday isn’t your idea of family entertainment then the doctors have done all they can for your condition.

There were twenty-one participants in the Roger Corman Blogathon, and in the manner of mad scientists who created these giant beasties in the films of the 1950s, Dr. Hood is anxious to increase that number to gi-normous proportions for the next blogathon—yes, some may call him mad, but some may call him genius.  (And some may call his cell phone, but he’s got an annoying habit of letting it go to voicemail.)  So if you’re reading this post and maintain or have the keys to a blog of your own or someone else’s, I want to encourage you to participate in Monster Movie Mania—the information is here at FCY and like the Cormanthon you’ll need to reserve which monster movie you’re going to write about.  (Don’t have a blog?  Start one specifically for the contest!  It’s that darn easy!)  There’s plenty of incentive to get in on this because not only will there be nifty banner awards to display proudly on your blog should your essay win, place or show but also fabulous prizes…and if you’re honestly not interested in getting free swag I don’t think we can associate with each other anymore.  Monster Movie Mania…July 27-August 3, courtesy of Forgotten Classics of Yesteryear.

Bookmark and Share

9 comments:

Rachel said...

I already left you my congrats on Nate's blog, but I wanted to add them here, as well. And I think you should start a side job as "Blogathon Promoter." You have a talent for it. I would totally pay you to promote my blogathons (if I ever did any).

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

(clearing throat) Announcing…the Rachel blogathon!!!

This summer, The Girl with the White Parasol announces its (fill in the blank) blogathon, in which interested bloggers are invited to contribute thought-provoking and stimulating essays on (fill in this other blank). Tell your friends! Tell your fellow bloggers! Tell me that you love me, Junie Moon! And remember…the first 500 kids who enter will get free white parasols…the first 500 male adults will get free women! (Yowsah!) The First Annual Rachel blogathon…coming this summer to a blog near you!!!

Well…maybe we should eliminate the ballyhoo and go with the soft-sell approach…

Pam said...

Congrats!

Your blog is always an enjoyable part of my day. When I am traveling and don't get the opportunity to poke my nose into anything other than client silliness, I really look forward to my "catch-up sessions."

But you know this already...

VP81955 said...

Congratulations! You do a terrific job with this blog, and all honors are well deserved.

ClassicBecky said...

Ivan, you are the TRUE Ivan ... congratulations on your award for the Corman blogathon. I loved your article, and said so! The LAMB award is just wonderful too! You should be proud (or at least less likely to want to throw yourself under a bus...)

Hey, do you have another friend named Classic Becky? You have a blog on your blogroll called Classic Becky and Friends on Classic Film. That isn't me -- I think I used that title or something like it a long long time ago when I first started, but that's ancient history. Anyway, I looked at the blog, and it sure isn't me -- doesn't even look like me..LOL! Just asking -- you do have my real blog too.

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. said...

You have a blog on your blogroll called Classic Becky and Friends on Classic Film. That isn't me -- I think I used that title or something like it a long long time ago when I first started, but that's ancient history. Anyway, I looked at the blog, and it sure isn't me -- doesn't even look like me...

ME: What the…? I could have sworn that was you…but if it’s not…then who…
CLASSIC BECKY: Zut alors! Mon identité a été indiquée ! (Translation: “My identity has been revealed!” )
ME: You’ve got a lot of explaining to do, Mystery Blogger…what’s the big idea of posing as ClassicBecky?
ClassicBecky: She doesn’t look a thing like me!
STACIA: Are you serious? She could be your identical twin!
LADY EVE: It’s the same dame!
ME: Look, we can all discuss the finer points of Beckers’ doppelganger later on…I want to know what the deal is…
CLASSIC BECKY: My name is Dominique Lefèvre...professional ClassicBecky impersonator. And I would have gotten away with it if it the real ClassicBecky had not been so...how you say...clever...
STACIA: "Clever."
CLASSIC BECKY: Merci...that is what I thought...
PAGE: Are you sure you're French?
CLASSIC BECKY: Of course I am French! Why do you think I have this outrageous accent?
ME: Nevertheless, you treacherous Becky imposter, I take a very dim view of your charade. I am banning you from my blogroll...begone!

Page said...

Ivan,
Congrats again on your award and getting your LAMMY...They couldn't have been given to a nicer guy.

I want you to focus for a moment because I have something important to say.

I can't prove it but I think that Nathanael guy has put us all in some kind of trance. He rounded us all up for these awards then decides there's another Blogathon and we all raised our hands and scrambled to go find our next film selection. I'm a bit frightened because if he had said "Get out of here and be back by 3 a.m. with a review!" I would have done just that.

That guy certainly has charisma and good for him because I'm actually excited for the next one even though once again I am completely clueless about this Monster Mania business. I guess we will all be right there together and the night it's over we will all get rounded up once again and wait patiently for our next Blogathon topic. That's just how we roll. Ha Ha

Now if you will excuse me I have a date with some Alligator People and possibly a Body Snatcher after that. If you haven't heard from me by the next Blogathon please come looking for me.

Page

ClassicBecky said...

"Et alors! Le plume de la tante! Voulevous couche avec moi! La Marseille!"
"Yes, yes, Mr. Mason! I did it!"

Actually, NO, I didn't do it. I have no idea who did it. But if I ever do a blog like that, with a weird widely-spaced recipe, put me out of my misery -- Dr. Death is dead, so you'll have to fill in.

Thank you for taking that IMPOSTER off -- my name has been shamed. If I were Japanese, I would have to cut my guts out -- thank God I'm Irish! I'll just have a drink!

Mark said...

Hey Ivan, Sorry I missed this post. Congrats on your Cormanthon Award! I'm hustling to read it now. In the meantime, I'm a countin' down the sci-fi posters!