Sunday, June 5, 2011

The new SLIFR exam is bigger than life

Dennis Cozzalio has another one of his brain-busting quizzes up at Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule, and since it’s been a good while since I tackled one (I’ve been auditing his class, you understand) I thought I’d give it the old college try.  (Surprisingly, there were only one or two questions that I simply had no response for, when usually it’s a fistful.)

1) Depending on your mood, your favorite or least-loved movie cliché

Music montages of people preparing to do some physical or athletic task—getting into shape for the main (boxing) event, etc.

2) Regardless of whether or not you eventually caught up with it, which film classic have you lied about seeing in the past?

See the answer to #25.

3) Roland Young or Edward Everett Horton?

Edward Everett Horton, both for narrating Fractured Fairy Tales and for being courageous enough to play a doddering, flatulent old geezer in Cold Turkey (1971).

4) Second favorite Frank Tashlin movie

Artists and Models (1955).  (First is 1952’s Son of Paleface.)

5) Clockwork Orange-- yes or no?

I’m going to have to reluctantly say no on this one.  I don’t like the way Kubrick manipulates the audience into siding with the unsympathetic main character by making the supporting characters even bigger shits.

6) Best/favorite use of gender dysphoria in a horror film (Ariel Schudson)

Whoa…check out the big brain on Ariel!  The only movie that immediately comes to mind is The Silence of the Lambs (1991).

7) Melanie Laurent or Blake Lively?

Since the only movie I’ve seen of these two women is Inglourious Basterds (2009) I’ll go with Mélanie.  (Let’s face it—I’ve seen more movies with Robyn Lively.)

8) Best movie of 2011 (so far…)

Much like the characters in Buñuel’s Exterminating Angel (1962), I find it impossible to leave my house in search of any new movies…and I’m too broke to rent any.

9) Favorite screen performer with a noticeable facial deformity (Peg Aloi)

Karen Black.

10) Lars von Trier: shithead or misunderstood comic savant? (Dean Treadway)

Comic shithead.

11) Timothy Carey or Henry Silva?

Timothy Carey, of course!  (“I’ve got ideas…and they’re all vile, bubie…”)

12) Low-profile writer who deserves more attention from critics and /or audiences

A.I. Bezzerides.  (Though some might argue he’s not really low-profile.)

13) Movie most recently viewed theatrically, and on DVD, Blu-ray or streaming

I answer the same thing on the theatrical movie question, so I’m going to give you a break on that.  Most recent DVD viewed is His Kind of Woman (1951).

14) Favorite film noir villain

Coty Jarrett (James Cagney) in White Heat (1949).

15) Best thing about streaming movies?

I don’t stream movies, so I really don’t think my answer would be valid but I suppose the convenience of having flicks at your fingertips would be as good a reply as any.

16) Fay Spain or France Nuyen? (Peter Nellhaus)

I like both actresses, but France was smokin’ hot on St. Elsewhere so she has the inside track.  (Plus she was married to Robert Culp at one time, so she gets points for that, too.)

17) Favorite Kirk Douglas movie that isn’t called Spartacus (Peter Nellhaus)

Ace in the Hole (1951).

18) Favorite movie about cars

Used Cars (1980).  (Duh.)

19) Audrey Totter or Marie Windsor?

Jesus.  Toughest question on the exam so far.  I’ll go with Marie, but it’s a very close race.

20) Existing Stephen King movie adaptation that could use an remake/reboot/overhaul

Oh, please…why encourage him?

21) Low-profile director who deserves more attention from critics and/or audiences

I think I answered Joseph H. Lewis the last time this question came up so I’ll stick with that.

22) What actor that you previously enjoyed has become distracting or a self-parody? (Adam Ross)

The answer to this is always Al Pacino. (Hoo-hah!)

23) Best place in the world to see a movie

In a restored movie palace.

24) Charles McGraw or Sterling Hayden?

Oh, it’s not even close.  McGraw is the shiznit.

25) Second favorite Yasujiro Ozu film

Tokyo Story (1953).  (Okay, I’ll come clean—I’ve never seen an Ozu film.)

26) Most memorable horror movie father figure

I liked John Saxon’s cop in A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984).

27) Name a non-action-oriented movie that would be fun to see in Sensurround

Anything by Robert Altman would be interesting because of his trademark overlapping dialogue.

28) Chris Evans or Ryan Reynolds?

I haven’t seen any of the movies Evans has been in so I’m going to go with Reynolds only because I liked him on the sitcom Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place.

29) Favorite relatively unknown supporting player, from either or both the classic and the modern era

Anita Garvin.

30) Real-life movie location you most recently visited or saw

Well, I lived in Savannah, GA off and on for nearly twenty years so it’s safe to say I came across a lot of the locations that were used in movies like Cape Fear (1962), Forrest Gump (1994) and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (1997)

31) Second favorite Budd Boetticher movie

I swear this question has been asked before.  My favorite is The Tall T (1957), so I guess second place would go to Ride Lonesome (1959).

32) Mara Corday or Julie Adams?

My pal Laura would kill me if I didn’t say Mara.

33) Favorite Universal-International western

Winchester ’73 (1950).  No contest.

34) What's the biggest "gimmick" that's drawn you out to see a movie? (Sal Gomez)

I ashamedly admit that I saw Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982) because it was in 3-D.  (I was young and impressionable then, but I didn’t enjoy the experience so I like to think that counts for something.)

35) Favorite actress of the silent era

Louise Brooks.  (Second place is Clara Bow.)

36) Best Eugene Pallette performance (Larry Aydlette)

Alexander Bullock in My Man Godfrey (1936) is his signature role, though he was always good in anything he graced.

37) Best/worst remake of the 21st century so far? (Dan Aloi)

The Manchurian Candidate (2004).  (Lordy, that was bad.)

38) What could multiplex owners do right now to improve the theatrical viewing experience for moviegoers? What could moviegoers do?

Burn the multiplexes to the ground and erect stately old-time movie palaces where the ashes lie.  (Or build more drive-ins.  Not that I’m sucking up, teach.)

Bookmark and Share


le0pard13 said...

Fun read, Ivan. And yes, France Nuyen was smokin' hot in the great St. Elsewhere series. Always glad to see a Rudy Russo nod... "Trust me." Thanks.

Stacia said...

Music montages of people preparing to do some physical or athletic task—getting into shape for the main (boxing) event, etc.

You're the best! Arouunnd! Nothin's gonna ever keep you down!

Dean Treadway said...

Good stuff! I wish I would have thought of USED CARS! And your answer on the King question was hilarious and apt. That's how I REALLY wanted to answer that question!

Yvette said...

Good answers, Ivan. But then, I wouldn't expect anything else.