Saturday, July 23, 2011

“If Ida Lupino is ‘the poor man’s Bette Davis’…then thank Heaven I’m a poor man!”


Yeah, that gag never gets old.  I’ve used it as the title of the post because Jen at the Ida Lupino blog is going to be hosting a blogathon on the subject of one of our favorite actors-directors here at TDOY…and I only wish I’d seen the notice sooner because I could have given the event a bigger build-up (and maybe have collected a larger promotional fee…no, I’m just kidding about that).  The list of participants is small (but as someone wiser than myself once said: “There are no small bloggers…only…no, that statement doesn’t make a lick of sense…”) but certainly up to the task of contributing posts and essays on the incomparable Ida—and again, even though this is short notice if you have something to kick in for the Ida-thon I’d encourage you to have a go and, as Jen trumpets in this post, “spread the love.”  (I’m already committed to putting together an essay on two classic Twilight Zone episodes that feature Ida as participant both in front and behind the camera…now all I have to do is find a foolproof method of slowing down time to completing it.)  The Ida Lupino Blog-a-thon will run from August 1-2.

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Tom McMahon said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpjEe2h_n9o The Entrancing Dr Cassandra episode of Batman with Ida Lupino, Howard Duff, and G. David Schine as the store clerk: "One does not browse at Spiffany's, Madam. One either **buys** or one **leaves**". Terrifically bizarre 60s kitsch. More on Schine here: http://www.tommcmahon.net/2008/02/g-david-schine.html

ClassicBecky said...

I don't know the blog you mention, but I'd LOVE to get into this one. Ida Lupino is one of my favorite actresses and deserves more recognition as such. I'm going over to sign up! I love your idea for the TZ episodes. One of my favorites has always been the aging actress who can't take reality and wants the past back. That really moved me. I can't remember the other one!

Stacia said...

Stop making me do stuff during my hiatus!

Jimbo said...

Love your blog...

I also loved Lupino's directorial effort in one of my fave B films, The Hitchhiker, with Frank Lovejoy...