Monday, December 24, 2012

Please excuse Ivan from the blog…he is needed at home


Once again, I demonstrate a complete disregard for the blogosphere by spending my copious free time sprawled out in Count Comfy von Chair playing Cityville endlessly as the ‘rents continue to be spellbound by American Pickers.  All I can offer is my most sincere apology.  I had planned to have a Serial Saturdays entry up on that very day, and a Mayberry Mondays to follow.  But in addition to my unbridled sloth, significant events have been happening in short order that kept these from being completed…so on this Christmas Eve, I need to do a quick “state of the blog.”

When we last had a blog meeting at the lodge hall I mentioned the observance of my parents’ 50th wedding anniversary—and I want to thank everybody who passed along best wishes via the comments area of that post; I relayed all of the sentiments to both of them (well, with the exception of Scott’s—because my mother is already convinced that I have a twisted sense of humor, and if she knew I was associating with the likes of him I would probably be told to “stay away from that boy”) despite their puzzlement (“Why are you telling everybody about us on that blog?”)  The three of us went over to the Double K Ranch (the nickname of sister Kat’s residence) that evening for a congratulatory dinner (steak, hash brown casserole, broccoli, salad and Diamond Cookie Pie for afters) and to spring the surprise on Mom and Dad that my younger sister Debbie (plus her husband and my niece Rachel) would be coming down to spend Christmas with all of us.  Having had their socks knocked off, we spent most of last week in preparation (tidying up, planning meals, fattening calves) for their arrival…and for the next five days, Thrilling Days of Yesteryear will be observing radio silence.


When I return, I will have many wacky tales to impart…and the first chapter of Don Winslow of the Navy (1942) for your edification, I swear.  Thanks for being patient with my extended absence, and I just want to wish every member of the TDOY faithful the happiest in this holiday season.  Season’s greetings to all!

3 comments:

KC said...

Happy Holidays Ivan!

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas to you and your fam.

ClassicBecky said...

You know, Ivan, when I had 2 surgeries 2 months apart on my back, with a bonus knee surgery to boot, I literally lived in the lap of Count Comfy von Chair's brother. My boys called him the Chair of Despair. So true! The Chair of Despair made his final appearance the day I moved from the house -- he had done his job well, and in gratitude for that, I had planned a Viking funeral. My sons promised faithfully that he would be on a fiery boat in no time. but I found out that they really threw him in the city dump! The ClassicBecky offspring really know how to say thank you .... Hmmm - I wonder what you will do when County Comfy bites the dust? Muwahahaha...