Friday, July 18, 2014

While I was out…


I’ll say this much for eBay: though they may be a wretched hive of scum and villainy, they occasionally redeem themselves by offering the occasional “free listing fees” promotion, and that’s why things have been so quiet here on the blog of late.  I worked like a fiend to get listings prepared for over 300 items that I am hawking right this very minute (click here if you’re curious and/or interested), which I don’t mind telling you decimated the holdings in the dusty Thrilling Days of Yesteryear archives.  I told the matriarch in the Shreve household that this is it—any further requests for money and she’s going to have to do that “dancing for change” thing I mentioned in this previous post.  (This will not be easy, as her partner is notoriously tone-deaf and has to count out the steps when they’re tripping the light fantastic.)

The response to the auctions has been encouragingly positive: if on the off-chance that you bought something from me and I didn’t recognize you allow me to thank you here on the blog.  (Longtime friend of the blog Mike Galbreath procured a couple of discs for his collection, and I can share with you the knowledge that you not only tossed a few coins in my guitar case but the tin can of my BBFF Stacia, who was in dire need of extra funds herownself.  (Something cat-related—I didn’t get the full details.)  The painstakingly painful paperwork (dig the alliteration) involved in putting together the auctions has left me lazy and in need of a bit of R&R; I’ve got enough energy to complete a couple of outside assignments but it looks as if I’ll have to pre-empt Serial Saturdays for another week.  (If I’m able to complete my other work in time there might be a visit with Doris on Monday…but I make no promises.)

In the meantime, I thank you profusely for putting up with the dearth of witty, scintillating TDOY material and hopefully I’ll get things back on track soon.  If you’ve got a free moment, you can check out my birthday tribute to radio and TV’s “supermom” Harriet Hilliard Nelson at the Radio Spirits blog…and double feature reviews of The Killer That Stalked New York (1950) and Two of a Kind (1951) at ClassicFlix.

4 comments:

Matt said...

I placed a bid on one of your DVDs - hope I get it!

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

Thanks, Matt! You're a mensch!

faustina said...

Ivan, I will certainly check out your listings!
I have a few things on eBay right now, too, but I'm giving it a rest before I put them out for bid again.
May Luck be a lady to you!

The Lady Eve said...

My "watch list" has now tripled in size. Great items, Ivan, some I've never heard of before ("Hillbillys in a Haunted House"!) that seem so rare that it's possible they may one day be collectors items.