Friday, May 25, 2012

A blog well-calculated to keep you in…Suspense!


Sixty-nine years ago on this very date, the venerable radio drama anthology Suspense presented a play that would become the program’s most well-known…and is still so fondly remembered today there’s no doubt a high school out there somewhere across this great land is performing it.  It’s “Sorry, Wrong Number”; written by Lucille Fletcher and performed as a one-woman tour de force by the great Agnes Moorehead, who, after the initial broadcast, would revisit the production seven additional times before Suspense left the airwaves in 1962.

This blog post kicks off what I hope will be a continued fruitful association with Radio Spirits, a company for which I have been doing freelance work since 2006, shortly after Radio Again founder Mark Tepper became CEO.  Mark and I had a recent phone conversation concerning some upcoming projects and he was telling me about how he was wanting to get Radio Spirits’ blog going on a regular basis, mentioning that he envisioned it spotlighting articles on old-time radio and classic film.

“In other words…pretty much what I do now,” was my response…and it didn’t take me too long to convince him I was more than up to the task.  I am most grateful for the opportunity to oversee the blog’s authorship, even at the great risk that this might bestow some respectability upon myself.  I’ve put a little button on the left sidebar that links to the Radio Spirits blog, so you might want to check it from time to time to see when I put something up for your edification.

Right now, I’m in the middle of getting the inaugural Green Hornet portion of Serial Saturdays completed, but I quickly wanted to direct your attention to this:


Yes, for a limited time only the Hostess people have transformed my favorite snack cake into something the Half-Assed Gourmand would truly appreciate.  Alas, a search of most of the grocery establishments here in the Classic City turned up nary a chocolate Twinkie…so my BBFF Stacia was only too happy to step into the breach and send me a couple of boxes from the She Blogged by Night office in West Lompoc.  She’s a treasure, that gal…she truly is.

1 comment:

Kevin Deany said...

Really like "The Green Hornet" serial. Looking forward to it.